Switching Layout Plan

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I thought I'd share with you guys a trackplan I drew up for my HO scale switching layout. It's based on the Timesaver design, originally by John Armstrong. The plan is for a shelf layout, at least 1' by 6'. Any comments or suggestions?

Attachments

• ho_switching_layout.jpg
    ho_switching_layout.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 529

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Looks good, Brian. The only comment I'd have to offer is that I believe the original Timesaver had the lengths of the spurs carefully calculated as to the number of cars they would hold. If you're interested in the "puzzle" aspects of the layout, you might want to look into that.

fvracer85

May 31, 2002
Michigan
www.sblv.us
That's correct, it was John Allen's timesaver and the sidings where a specific length....Oh, and my next project is to recreate the timesaver too, but in N so I can play the portable version on the coffee table while I'm watching the new baby that's on the way...

:D :rolleyes: ;)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Brian:
can you hint at what you're planning to do with the layout? If it's going to be a game like the Time Waster, you can make it trickier to operate. If you want it more scenic, you could make different alterations.
The tail track at the left is only a foot long and might hold a 40' loco and a 40' car. Frustrate your operators by making it not quite long enough, or using 50' cars. Make sure the cold storage warehouse gets 85' long box cars so that that tail track is crowded.

Or improve the scenics by reducing the 3 parallel tracks. Turn the switch to the cold storage the other way and move the track back. Run the siding at the front to the corner rather than turning it.
I built a layout on a 12" plank once. Was nice until the plank warped because I put no bracing on it.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
My main goal is to create a switching layout to represent an urban industrial area that I can later incorporate into a larger layout. I'm not looking to create any mind-numbing switching puzzles or works of scenic art, just a place to run my HO equipment.

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
Yep I was right...

I have found and attached the zip file of the RR Switch puzzle game for anyone to download and enjoy. It is somewhat fun and doesn't require any benchwork or building. Try it out and see what kind of time it takes you to work the puzzle.

Enjoy,

BillD53A

Mar 23, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
Visit site
The original Timesaver was one of the very few things that got salvaged from John Allen's house after the fire. Somebody way up north still has it (a little singed around the edges) and puts it on dissplay at shows, etc.

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
Oppps...

Guess it would have helped to attach the blasted thing...

Here it is...

PS. I changed the extention from .zip to jpg in order to upload I hope it works. You must change it back to open it.

Oh well it didn't let me attach it that way. If anyone is interested in this software, just email me and I will send it to you that way.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Timesaver

No problem Bob (Vanda),

Here's the scoop on two Timesavers connected back-to-back for those who are interested. This version uses standard Atlas HO Snaptrack. One Timesaver ocupies 9 1/4" x 68" and provides a terrific amout of action. The atlas switch for controlling the loco is describes as "Atlas Twin". A reversing switch with centre "off" will do the same job.

Errol

Attachments

• timesaver 1a.jpg
    timesaver 1a.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 454