switchers

ross31r

i got bored this afternoon so heres a few pictures of my pair of USRA 0-6-0s on thw work in progress layout!

In this sequence shot by an intrepid railfan of the pair, an unusually 4441 is seen arriving with the on-loan SP directors observation car, whilst workworn and tatty sister 4756 awaits permission to run down to the turntable to be turned to enter the shed for servicing.

Attachments

• arrival.jpg
    arrival.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 32
  • alongsidepf.JPG
    alongsidepf.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 30
  • faces.JPG
    faces.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 24
  • sisters.JPG
    sisters.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 4756.JPG
    4756.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 28

ross31r

4756 obivously caughty our photographers eye, because hes taken quite a few of this worksatined and battered engine whilst 4441 was on the turntable.

The engine crews were kind enough to pose the two switchers for our railfan, showing the contrasts between the two sisters and raising a few suspicions as to why 4441 is so clean compared to 4756

Attachments

• 4756e6.JPG
    4756e6.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 4756f.JPG
    4756f.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 4756hiding.JPG
    4756hiding.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 4756t.JPG
    4756t.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 25
  • motion.JPG
    motion.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 24

ross31r

A short while later, 4441 is seen awaiting the arrival of ESE gas mailbug 9099. With the arrival of the mailbug, 4441 and the directors depart from the yard, as 4756 is serviced in the shed then moves off to be coaled and watered.

Attachments

• waiting.JPG
    waiting.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 40
  • departure.JPG
    departure.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 24
  • directors.JPG
    directors.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 23

ross31r

It appears that 4441 and the directors saloon may have got into some difficulties because our railfan got these shots of 4756 (now tunred again to allow for more rapid progress down the line) departing at full speed to render assistance with the ex-SP 250T steam crane and tender that had been working to help erect the cantenary. I do hope the directors didnt spill any coffee!!!

Attachments

• crossing.JPG
    crossing.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 20
  • crossing2.JPG
    crossing2.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 28
  • crane4.JPG
    crane4.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 23

MilesWestern

I love those shots, hope the scenery comes along well! I really enjoyed 4756's weathering approach on the tender! Thanks for showing me those plong awaited photos, ross31r! Hope there might be some more soon! Thanks again.

ross31r

as far as i can tell 4756 is towing the tender from the Smokey Mountain Express 0-6-0 but its been converted to have tender pickups and be an oil burner - she isnt actually a loco i brought myself, i was given her from the collection of someone who passed away recently.

GeorgeHO

Beautiful photos. They really show the difference between out-of-the-box and highly weathered. What you say about the tender pickup makes sense to me. I plan to eventually modify ALL my tenders for pickup from both rails if possible, and make the connectors uniform so I can switch tenders whenever I want, depending on what I am running.

ross31r

i didnt install them on 4756, they were on her when i got her. As for 4441, i plan to remove the dummy coupler and fit a kadee in a draftgear box onto the pilot frame.

The bachmann EZ mates are ok couplers for the sort of duties these two will be performing so im not to fussed about replacing the back one on 4441.