switch question

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
what is the concenius on using curved peco switches ??

I have a siding infront of the passenger station that is 32 inches long with cross over switches at each end. After these switches the track curves. I have enough room to add a curved switch in one of the curves and this will double the length of my siding.

Is it worth it, trouble wise, to put in the curved switch and double the length or leave it as is??
Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ron..

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Ron, While I have no first hand experience with curved Peco turnouts, I would expect them to be trouble free. I would use them in a heartbeat in order to double the siding length.

Gary

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Curved Turnouts

Ron:
I have a pair in my mainline and I don't have any problems with them.
I replaced a fairly old one and found that they have changed a little over the years -- the rail ends matched but the points were out by a tie or so -- didn't line up with the switch machine any more.
I think the radii are 60" and 36" (I'm at work so I can't measure it).

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Ron,
I have used Peco track & Points(Switches) all of my model life, and they are trouble free if you lay them right. I also have on my present layout two right and one left curved.

Shamus

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Peco turnouts are pretty much the standard for most model railroaders I know of, simply because they tend to be trouble free.
I have used Peco turnouts of all sizes and types on both HO and N scale modular layouts for the past 21 years and have never had a problem yet
If you are modeling HO, there are 2 different sizes: Standard streamline, which have an outside radius of 60", an inside radius of 30" and an overall length of 10 1/16" and Setrack, which have an outside radius of 19 7/8" and an inside radius of 17 1/4" (not sure of the length).

Terry.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Bill, I have several of the Shinohara curved turnouts and they work fine. In the past I had one give me trouble, you should check the gauge, as I recall the one that gave me trouble had wide gauge near the frog. Exactly where you want the minimum gauge.

Gary