switch machines under foam core

alcuin

Hi everyone,

In addition to the small layout I'm currently putting together, I'm also planning a larger 3x8 layout. I'd like to use Atlas code 55 track, which means I'll have to use under-table switch machines for the turnouts. I'll also be using 2" extruded foam for the scenic base. I'm just wondering what the best way is to mount the switch machines. Since the throw bar isn't long enough to reach all the way through the foam core base, I won't be able to mount them directly underneath the table. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Chris

rogerw

Not sure if its going to work but my plan is to mount my switch to a piece of 1/2 "plywood. mount the tortoise switch machine to the bottom of the plywood. Then cut out the foam where the switch will be 1/2" deep. So if the piece of plywood is 3 x12 inches, I will cut that size out and 1/2 "deep. I then will cut a hole big enough to fit the tortoise through(about 2x2) the remaining 1" of foam. I am using 1 1/2 inch foam.I havnt tried it yet but I think it should work.

jmurphy148

I'm using Peco turnouts with PL10W's directly mounted to the underside of the turnout. Then a small pocket cut in 1" foam to house the motor. That way the cutout should be fairly small and easy to hide with track ballast.

John