Switch Machine Recommendation?

ebaines

Wondering what the collective wisdom of this forum has to say about switch machine manufacturers. I'm returning to model railroading after a hiatus of 20 years or so, and so am a bit out of touch with who's good and who's not. Who do you prefer for switch machines, and why? In searching the archives there seems to be a consensus regarding Caboose Industries ground throws, but nothing on remote switch machines. Any experience with Switchmaster, Circuitron Tortoise, or American Limted? Anyone else to consider?

sams

ebaines,
i believe among the stall motor switch machines, the tortoise is (by far) the best selling.
everyone i've asked "which switch machine do you recommend and/or use"...
has told me the circuitron tortoise.

seanm

This is true if you want slow motion... but it is expensive. I have had really pretty good luck using Atlas HO switch motors mounted under the table with a linkage made from a brass tube and music wire. I also do not have to drill holed other then a 1/8 (or smaller) for the linkage tubing and it can be done after the switch is installed... where the Torti needs to have the hole set up beforehand.
I can get the motors used on Ebay for about $2 each and they work well... though they are pretty old technology. I think the Torti are in the $10 each range or more. On the plus side, the stall motor machines can use a simple SPST toggle switch to throw them... and the coil type need a push button for each side.

Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances... (smile)