switch help/suggestions

wireyanker

Jan 10, 2003
Visit site
getting ready to order up an entire new layout. my question is..... is the slow motion machine switches worth the money? i assume they have auxillary contacts for lights and such. Anything better out there? for the mark 3 type code 83 track. thanks wireyanker :)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Some guys at our local modular club have them, and with the Digitrax control we use, it is pretty coool to be able to throw the turnout from the throttle. Other guys have them with toggle switches on the facia, but most turnouts are Pecos thrown by hand.

For my money, they would be great for places you cannot reach, or if you are modelling more modern times where turnouts are thrown by a central control.

I don't have any hard to reach areas, and I run steam in the 1920s and 30s, when you had to get off the train and throw the turnout by hand... :D

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I have 2 of them operating a double junction and the control has an interlock on it. They do have 2 SPDT switches for extras.
Very good if you like slide or toggle switches for controls. Frustrating if you need to throw a switch in a hurry in front of a train. Confusing if you mix them with other types of switch machines. Can't rig them for diode matrix control and it gets confusing if you want to control one switch from a couple of panels.