Sweethome Chicago under way at last

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Things are finally starting to happen on the switching layout.

I spent ages designing the foldaway legs, bearing in mind the layout will be fully portable and able to be transported in the back of the car.

aas.sized.jpg

aaw.sized.jpg

The whole leg structure can be erected in under a minute, with each set of legs being held in place with a single brass pin. I am really pleased with it and it is as solid as a rock, once the adjustable feet iron out any unevenness in the floor.

Each of the six boards are secured with two coach bolts, secured into captive plates, removing the need for nuts and washers, and the baseboards are aligned with pattern makers dowels - a perfect fit every time.

aap.sized.jpg

The underside of each board is painted white so I can easily see the wiring

aar.sized.jpg

The electrics are carried between the boards by a spagetti bowl of 37-way multipin connectors and home-made jumper cables - not the quickest of jobs.

The track is secured to brass pins at each board joint to stop unwanted movement. With the dowels and bolts, the tracks line up every time. the rails have yet to be cut in the pics.

aak.sized.jpg

aal.sized.jpg

More soon.

Jon

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
So that's what you've been up to in your secret laboratory, looking good so far, Jon!-:thumb::thumb:
Atleast you're using the right railroad to test it!!-:D
Good luck with the rest of it.-:wave:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Yeah!!! Good benchwork, great weathered gon, cool NYC power, and a terrific looking large industry. Can't wait for future developments.
Ralph

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Thanks a lot guys.

I forgot to mention that the 6 boards just sit on top of the legs after they have been erected and levelled.

The gon is an Athearn BB covered gon (without cover) and has been detailled with grabs, stirrups and Kadee trucks. I also weighted the chassis with sheet lead and it runs like a dream now.

Jon