Sweet googly moogly! I want one of these...

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by causticphlegm, Jun 16, 2007.

1. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Not technically card modelling, but it IS paper. I have a question for those who do designing. If you had the moolah, would you be interested in one of these?

Edit - Ok, sorry...not paper...it's plaster and resins. But still darn cool! You can get a desktop unit for a nice $5,000. Ummm....could someone lend me $5,000?
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

In a word.............yes
  3. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hmmm....I wonder how long it will take until the price comes down to something a mere mortal can afford? Probably under 10 years, I'd guess.

But would it be as satisfying as what we do now? I doubt it.
  4. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

Sorry, I have a big feeling this a spoof, fake.
  5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

the printer is legit, I have seen previous models in real life, and was amazed by the detail the unit can "print"

6. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

What is the substrate,what is it "printing" on?

It looks like it would be awsome, but it doesn't look real to me. Looks like that "Make your own pet" thing that I saw last year that was just a "concept" that some college student did. . .
  7. damraska

damraska Member

I've been telling people for years that one day, you will download the patterns for toys, decorations, and so forth on your computer, and fabricate them right in your home using a more advanced version of current 3D printers. The matrix materials will get stonger, the resolutions will get better, the colors more vibrant, the speeds faster, and the final product more refined. And when you are tired of it, it will get recycled right back into the same machine. Invest now.

8. Kaz

Kaz Member

I remember seeing something similar on Tomorrows World many moons ago, two lasers would cross their paths and make some jelly resin 'set', where it set, it would solidify and the rest was wasted.
    Cool printer, but not something I'd want. It takes away many skills I like to think I possess, apart from software writing skills.
  9. some one was just telling me about this today at borders books while i was trying to find a copy of build your own uss. enterprise. he said there is a copier that makes molds and other stuff so this must be it!!
    hmmmm if it makes 3D models from resins, im sure it could be tweeked to make models out of something like paper machie??? hmmmmm ( drooling) ;-) :)
  10. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Fake???!!! I must have been drawing my salary for the last 9 years under false pretences then!! Do a google search on 'Rapid Prototyping' I've been running a 3D Systems SLA machine for that time, which builds parts by shining a laser beam into a tank of epoxy resin. There are other systems that do the same thing into metal powder, or use flashlight through a digital mask ( a bit like a desktop projector system) to cure the resin. Others still squeeze molten plastic out of a print head to build up the model. They all work by building up the model layer by layer, so the 'resolution' of the model depends largely on the layer thickness, and the finer the finish, the thinner the layers, so the longer the build takes to finish.

The whole family of technologies has been under development for about 20 years, and while originaly aimed at prototyping, checking shapes and limited function before going into production by other methods, developments into strong resins and fine finishes mean that these technologies are quickly becoming production-capable. Already, ear pieces for hearing aids are made using one of these systems, dental fixtures as well, apart from lots of other industrial technologies. And even if you can't make the part directly, it is perfectly possible to use the metal sintering process to make an injection mould and make the parts in plastic; you get your mould much more quickly than having to machine and polish it from the solid.

There are still limits on what you can do, size is one (although a Belgian company have designed their own SLA resin machine that can handle parts 2 metres long), cost is another, the machines are NOT cheap, but the prices have dropped dramatically in the last few years. Moving into the production end of things will mean the numbers and capabilities will rocket, and it will not be long before you WILL be able to buy a home-use system, at a sensible price, from PC World. The economics of this product will be exactly the same as for inkjet printers and cell phones; ie they virtually give the equipment away for nothing, and make a killing on the usage and consumables.

You heard it here first, folks! (Actually I've been banging on about this for years!)

Fake? No, only too real......

PS Also do a search on 'Home Fabber'. You can make your own machine for a few hundred $ if you want.

PPS There is a reasearch project into building REAL houses by this methoud. The walls would have all the utility piping and cableing built in place, layer by layer. Also NASA were looking at a system that would sinter rock into useful shapes. The idea was to land the system on Mars where it could then build components for shelters, vehicle chassis etc from raw materials and solar power. It would mean a dramatic reduction in the payload rquired to be launched. And if anything got damaged, the system could just make a replacement, right there and then.
  11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

sorry, duplicate entry..

12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Mechanic, the zcorp machine works by spraying a binder liquid onto the surface of a tank full of powder. The binder glues the powder together. The binder is shot through a head very much like an inkjet printer. The binder only penetrates a little way into the powder. The 'image' is a slice through the model. Once the first image is 'printed, the floor of the powder tank drops a layers-worth and a fresh layer of powder is pushed over the tank. The spray head prints the next layer, and where it is directly over the previous one (now buried under the fresh layer of powder) the binder glues the powder grains to it as well. This process continues until all the layers have benn printed one on top of another, and the tank of powder contains a solidified representation of the original 3D data; your model! This system is clever in that you can dye the binder liquid, and by using the usual cyan-magenta-yellow-black colours, a full colour model can be made; no other RP system can do this. The consumables are cheap, and as you can see from the video, ZCorp have worked hard to make a system that is very user friendly. The system I work with makes MUCH more accurate models, but they take longer to build ( a couple of days for a full platform) and the liquid resin left on the model needs some messy removal. Othersystems just need a wash with warm water to rmove the support structure. They all vary in terms of size, resolution, model strength and materials, accuracy, running and purchase costs, and so what works well for one business isn't neccessarily going to be the best for someone else.

13. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Hmmmmm..... Father's Day is tomorrow, I should call my kids....

14. David H

David H Member

This will be a boon for all those folks who buy "pre-painted" miniatures! They could download and "make" them at home, cuting out the factory in China.

I suggests the tittle of "i-Things".

And on a more serious note it would be a great way for scratch builders and super-detailers to make complex but repetitive "things"...

I think rather than investing in the technology I will study copyright law (intellectual property and the distribution there of). The Disney Corp.,Mattel, Lucas Arts etc. are going to need a lot of support!

15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

...and when someone downloads a mug design from the Internet, builds it on their home 3D printer, fills it with coffee and the handle fails dumping the scalding drink in their lap, who is going to get sued? The mug designer? The printer manufacturer? The material manufacturer? The scalded numpty for doing such a stupid thing anyway? The lawyers are going to have a field day....

PS Just think what might happen if they start building replacement auto parts......
  16. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

OK, I was up a little too late last night. I know the resin UV technology is almost ancient now by todays standards, and I'd heard about the house building technique.

After I opened my mouth :cry: I did do a few searches online and found a wealth of information. The video just struck me as being a little slick and had that too good to be true feel.

Everyone: please don't tell my wife I was wrong (again).
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

It's always............ mums the word here!

I sent off for one of the demo packets from another of these 3D printers.

They sent me a small container they showed being printed. This process was liquid PVC sprayed thru ink-jet nozzles. Built up layer by layer.

Pretty neat, but 10K for the printer and who knows what for the supplies was a little steep right now............. but in a few more years, I think everyone will be using one to "print out" disposable (re-usable) items.

Imagine........... want to go on a picnic............ print your plates, cups, and silverware................. when you come back toss them in a re-cycler and it grind them back up and re-melts them for use again.