Susquehanna raifan photos

Gary Pfeil

While looking for some other photos I need for a project I'm working on I found these which were taken in Sept. of a fall foliage trip. These were taken a few blocks from my home in Boonton, on what used to be the Lackawanna freight line. Of interest is the story behind the steamer. Apparently finding no domestic steam to their liking or budget requirements, they contracted with a firm in China to build them a 2-8-0. The unit was built and put on a ship which then sank in the Indian Ocean. The Susquehanna eventually bought another Chinese loco secondhand from another U.S. road which I can unfortunately not remeber the name of. That is the loco in the photo. The E8 in the other shot was at the other end of the train, the two operating in a kind of push pull operation due to lack of turning facilities.

Attachments

• p1010152.jpg
    p1010152.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 68

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I'm wondering if thats the one that the Essex Railroad had here in Connecticut. I had heard they sold it, but I thought that it went to Steamtown in PA. It too was built in China specifically for the Essex.Hmmm....

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I just went through some of my pictures. Here's one of the Chineese built 2-8-2 when it was running on the Essex here in Connecticut. It was built in 1989 and ran for a couple of years before being sold. This picture was taken in '91 or '92(Next time date pictures)

Attachments

• chinaloco.jpg
    chinaloco.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 54