Suspension bridge

Gary Pfeil

I've given a whole new meaning to the term! A work in process, obviously.

Attachments

• p1010179jpg.jpg
    p1010179jpg.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 255

Sir_Prize

Ah yes!
The Ghost Bridge of Blue Rock Valley.Many an loco lost there. They say on nights of the blue moon it appears. So any
engineer that dosn't pay attention and misses the switch to
the new bridge that's around the bend, ends up at the bottom
of Blue Rock Valley River.
:( :rolleyes:

Wanna hear why the ghost bridge appears, and why?

jon-monon

Hey, that looks just like the Woodwater River Bridge! Sweet, Gary, can't wait to see it when it gets out of suspension, and glad to see it in progress.

Tyson Rayles

And it can hold the weight of that Z-Scale railcar sitting sideways on it! :rolleyes: :D :p :eek: :D Yeah Sir Prize, tell us. BTW, it is a very nice looking bridge Gary, looking forward to seeing it installed and sceniced.

shamus

Registered Member
Hi, The trestle looks great, not sure I would take a loco over it yet:rolleyes: First time I have seen a Suspension Trestle:D:D

Shamus
waver.gif

RailRon

'Flyover' clarified!

I already read the term 'flyover' for some sort of bridge.

NOW I KNOW WHAT THIS REALLY IS! Thank you, Gary, for enlightening me!:D :D :D

But now I can't wait to see the result, when you put something below the bents. Aren't they desperately groping for secure footings? ;)

Ron

Gary Pfeil

Thanks all, abutments are in the paint shop now. Tyson, I didn't understand your comment till I looked at the photo again! Probably couldn't have done it better if I had tried. It is of course an HO RDC sitting on the main about 10 feet behind the bridge. Ken, you've got our interest, tell away. BTW, I am a property owner in Port Charlotte, my folks had bought a lot there a long time ago, it was given to me about 10 years ago. Last time I went to look at it was about 5 years ago, I guess. Weed infested streets, closest house was about 4 blocks away. It is my "emergency" plan, if I retire in poor financial shape, I sell my home here and park a motor home on the lot there. Has there been much building going on?

Sir_Prize

The Ghost Bridge- Story to come. Will post separate from this.

Gary- Do you recall the street names. I can spot it that way.
Plus, I work for the City of North Port; just north of Port
Charlotte. Soooo... Finding property stuff is no prob.;)

There has been a LOT of building down here. They got a bunch
of problems with water levels; who's getting it from where, how
much, etc. etc.

By the way the bridge does look great.
For got to mention that. The ghost story got me going.:rolleyes:

Gary Pfeil

Ken, I have no idea what street it is on, when I was there I stopped at a real estate office who gave me the location so I could take a look. It is not in the area with the lagoons. I remember my taxes went down many years ago due to a problem with water supplies. Anyway, all I have at home is the block and lot # on my tax bill. I am vacationing in May in Pompano Beach, can you tell me how long a drive it is to Port Charlotte?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Gary,
Judging from all the "I can't wait" comments, seems like you're holding us all in "suspense". :D :D :D
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "bent" hanger.;)

That said, Good looking trestle !
Pete

Sir_Prize

Hmmm... Pompano Beach is just above Fort Lauderdale.
You'd be looking at 3.5 to 4.5 hours. Depends on Traffic,
how fast you drive, and if cops chase another dinkle dorf
across (new) Alligator Alley; that's I-75 to you out-a-towners.;)

I-75 is 70mph from The toll booth ($1.00), roughly ten miles out
of Ft. Laud. and stays there until South side of Fort Myers.
They've numbered the exits to increase from Miami.
Sooo... The exits for P.C. are 167, 170, and 179. Lotta land...
Hmmm... OK.... Swamp out there.:D

Great looking trestle Gary, but I was sure hoping to see a bridge meant to suspend:D I'd like to build one based loosely on a bridge that hung over the Niagra river about a hundred yrs ago.

t.

MCL_RDG

I always wondered...

...how they built them things without getting the top wet! You add the river after you build the bridge! DUH- and here all this time the PA Dept. of Trans. has been doing it all wrong. No wonder my taxes are so high!!!

Very clever Gary- you're hired.

Mark:)

Gary Pfeil

Painted my bridge piers and abutments tonight and thought I'd
show you all how it's shaping up. A question: While I'm happy with the piers, is the abutment a proper type to use with this bridge? If not could you make a suggestion? Ken, thanks for the info, that may be a bit longer than I'll want to drive. Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Attachments

• p1010180jpg.jpg
    p1010180jpg.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 165

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
From the few prototype trestles I have been lucky to see before they were torn down, there didn't appear to be a standard for abutments. Usually there was some support to the track from the step in the abutment. Sorry I can't be more specific. It seems to me you can do it whatever way you want Gary.

Sir_Prize

Gary- That's cool. Maybe I can swing over there on a Saturday. I know a couple
great Train shops over there.

Bridge looks right and totally AWESOME to
me.
Just add water.:p ;)

By the way...
THE (short version) BLUE ROCK RIVER VALLEY LEGEND
is up in General Talk.:D