Surfduke's Saturn 1 SA6 1/96

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by londonbluemisty, Apr 30, 2009.

1. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi All:mrgreen:

Finished my latest project Surfduke's(Carl's) Saturn 1 SA6 design 1/96 scale.
    Unlike the SA1 this scaled down from 1/72 to 1/96 perfectly and was a joy to build:oops:
    As you can see from the last photo my 1/96 NASA Rocket collection is growing steadily:twisted:

Attached Files:

2. gpw

gpw Member

Wow, that´s fantastic, Wayne. :inw::inw::inw:
    You convince me to build this one soon.

You should go ahead with Saturn SA, IB and V.

Great job.

3. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Great work again! Good to hear this one scales well to 1:96, which is my favorite scale, too. I really like your display area. I need to put up some shelves to display my growing fleet.
  4. dhanners

dhanners Member

Excellent and clean build. Thanks for sharing the photos.

And that's quite a rocket farm you've got there. It is spring, and rockets are sprouting up all over....
  5. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Fine, Fine build. That is a NICE model. One day I'll get a truly clean build like that.
  6. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

That's a great build there. Nice detail. Looks like one I should tackle soon to sit next to Ton's Saturn V. I have a question. Do you use any particular tool to shape the attitude jets on the Apollo Service Module? I had tried some for the 1/96 Saturn V and was having trouble with my fat fingers. Best I had was a skewer.
  7. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Thanks Gerd:thumb:

I will go ahead with the rest of my Saturn build's I am getting better and better at rolling the 8 Redstone Tubes sign1

8. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi Simmo:mrgreen:

For rolling the AJ's I use the end of wooden cocktail sticks(Same size as tooth picks) and tweezers.
    Do not get me wrong they are very very hard to get right wall1
    For the 16 that you can see on my SA6 I rolled around 32 and picked the best 16:-x
  9. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

Great build londonbluemisty. :inw::inw::inw:

Your 1/96 collection is growing better and better :thumb:

I built some 1/96 model in the past and, viewing your collection, I'm seriously thinking to follow Your example and to build the rest at the 1/96 scale too.

My compliments again,
  10. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

What I like about keeping everything a constant scale (like London's garden) is the story it tells to people not familiar with the rocket program. We went from No Rocket Program in 1957 through the Mercury, Gemini, and Saturn 1 tests in the early 1960's to the Saturn V by 1968. How much of London's garden represents those 11 years?

Thank goodness for Dr. Von Braun and his team, who were still designing and improving in the worst of times when no one had any interest in their work.

Again, GREAT collection London.
  11. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Thanks SAustin16:mrgreen:

This is exactly what I am trying to achieve with my collection:thumb::thumb:

1: Just what was accomplished over such a short time frame with Dr. Von Braun at NASA.

2:By keeping everything to the same scale(i.e 1/96) it shows myself and others the immense size difference of all the rockets produced.

For instance I thought the Gemini-Titan rocket was a lot bigger than it really is until I got to build it and see it at KSC. :oops:

I still have 10 Rockets lined up to complete my NASA Rocket collection:twisted:

12. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi Wayne,

I will watch with great interest as you continue to build your beautiful Garden. It tells an amazing story.

May I suggest one small addition, a 1/96 figure standing at the base of your rockets. Either a plastic astronaut, or simply scale down an astronaut picture to .75 inches tall (6 Feet) in MS Word. I usedthe portrait of Buzz Aldrin standing on the Moon from the NASA archives. It may help put things in perspective.

As for the size of the Gemini-Titan ... Can you imagine a 14 day mission in that spacecraft? One of these day's I'd love to have the opportunity to discuss those long missions with the actual astronaut. They went through so much to advance the space program.

Thanks again for posting your pictures.
  13. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi Steve:mrgreen:
    Great Idea:thumb::thumb:
    I put this together today
    A 1/96 scale Astronaut Buzz Aldrin
    Buzz is 5ft 10 plus his helmet so like you said I set it to 3/4 inch (6ft)
    I have placed one next to the Bumper-WAC for scale comparison.
    I made a whole A4 sheet of them if anyone wants one:twisted:
    Send me a PM:wave: (Adobe PDF format)

Attached Files:

14. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

BRILLIANT !!! You can even see Mr. Armstrong reflected in his visor taking the picture!

I like the stand you designed for your figure. Looks well engineered.

Making your figure available to everyone is a very nice touch. I love this forum.
  15. gpw

gpw Member

Steve, Wayne,

thats an excellent idea and a great gift for us.
    Since I have a vitrine full of Apollo and Saturn, it will be a great add-on.

Thank you, PM will follow.
  16. dhanners

dhanners Member

That's a nice touch. It also brings up a bit of space trivia: Who is the only astronaut to walk on the Moon who never had his photo taken by his crewmate while walking on the surface of the Moon?

Neil Armstrong.

Armstrong shows up in the reflection of Aldrin's visor, and he shows up in the films, but Aldrin never paused to take a photo of the first man to step foot on the Moon.
  17. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

18. jparenti

jparenti Member

Nice work so far Wayne. You're doing a great job, and keeping them in the same scale is a great idea.
    I want to do the same thing someday with all the Saturn Is and 1Bs. I wish I had a Pegasus micrometeoroid satellite for the SA-8 though. Maybe I can hammer one together :)
    BTW, where did you get that Bumper-WAC? I've never seen that one before, and I'd like to build one myself.
  19. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hello All,

DHanners - Your comment about Mr. Armstrong is one of the more poignant aspects of the space program. I have to wonder if he wishes they had stopped for 2 seconds to snap a picture. I find it rather odd that this was not on the agenda.

For Jparenti - The Pegasus satellite looks like it would be very easy to design using just the MS Word drawing function. It appears to be only a series of rectangles, some folded around into cylinders. Just a suggestion.

I have to say Wayne's collection is truly an inspiration. Every time I look at his pictures, I feel the need to cut and glue paper.