Surfduke's Mercury-Atlas Finished

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by londonbluemisty, Oct 30, 2007.

1. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi to all:wave:
    Just a few photo's of my completed Mercury-Atlas 6 (Friendship 7) Designed by Surfduke(Carl).
    I have rescaled from 1/48 to 1/96 to keep inline with my other builds.
    A few of Carl's smaller designed parts I have left off due to their small size at 1/96 scale.Also I have used the same Escape Tower designed by Erick Munoz that was on my 1/96 Mercury-Redstone build.

Attached Files:

2. Fabs

Fabs New Member

Superb !
    You begin to have a fantastic 1/96 collection !!!
  3. jasco

jasco Member

Your rocket looks a lot better than mine. I built mine from the Paper Space kit. I'm not complaining about the kit, just what a crappy job I did! 8v) Kudos!
  4. gpw

gpw Member

Fine model, great built. :thumb::thumb::thumb: Again a nice design from Carl.

5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Great job! Glad to see Carl's works coming to life. :)
  6. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Thanks for the kind words everybody:thumb::thumb:
    Fabs,My 1/96 collection is certainly growing:mrgreen:
    Added a photo of my next build,T Noteboom's 1/96 Gemini-Titan.
    The 1/96 Gemini Capsule version does not have recessed hatch viewing windows, so I rescaled the 1/48 version to add the recessed windows.

Attached Files:

7. George B

George B Senior Member

Rocket Garden

Your collection is starting to look like the Rocket Garden and the KSC Visitors center. Great work Wayne!!!:thumb:

8. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

My leftside display is certainly the Wernher von Braun/NASA Space era.
    Gemini-Titan being built
    Thor-Able and Atlas-Agena printed and waiting to be built.wall1
    Then on to the BIG BOYS:Saturn 1B & Saturn V:mrgreen:
  9. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Man - That's some beautiful stuff there!!!!! Great work!!!
  10. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

Hey Wayne,
    I wonder what you will do if you finished the first Saturn 1b and Saturn V. Will you build every of them? From the early beginnings til the End? And then starting with the whole russian rocket program? Or even from Sputnyk1 to the ISS?:eek:
    I did not even dare to think aboout building this, because of getting a terrible look from my wife:mrgreen:

11. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi Josef:mrgreen:,
    I have thought about that.I will definetly be building the I.S.S once Alfonso of AXMpaperspacescalemodels releases it.I will suspend this from the ceiling over my Rocket collection.I do not know whether to scale the I.S.S up to 1/96 (the scale that I build to)it depends on the size?
    Once all of my NASA builds are finished I will be building the Russian space era of rockets,I have all of them downloaded already.
    I have enough models to keep me going for a few years yet.:eek:
    Also I have my upcoming DM Productions Saturn L.U.T build to nearly the same scale as George B's fantastic build:thumb::thumb:.
    So I have plenty to do!!!!!wall1
  12. Very nice! do you have a target date yet for the instructions?
  13. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

I've done two Sattelites (Galileo and Cassini) from a NASA Site. Solar System Exploration: Kids: Paper Models
    Because they are in a wrong scale i've reduced them to 1/96.
    The Cassini was more a bit simplified, so I rescaled the magnetometer-boom (I think it was only 2/3 length) and added the antennas. Because of the reducing the simple outlook of the instruments wouldn't be so much conspicuous.
    And I found the sputnyk1 on the lansbergen Site (Volkssterrenwacht Philippus Lansbergen) which i just so reduced. I found a fitting silverpaerl in my daughters jewelbox. With some good words and a little bit of authorityannounce1 i got it from her and just added some thin wire from a flexible cable. And "ta-dah" I got the very first sattelite launched from earth in my collection. It looks very tiny and fragile so i have to protect it from my son:mrgreen:

PS: If i ever got a new camera (the old crashed accidently from my desk) I will add some pics (I hope Santa reads this thread too:wave:)
  14. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

15. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi Timhinds 1,:wave:
    I was in the same situation as yourself NO instructions.Carl (Surfduke)has not released any yet.
    I used photo's from the NASA web Site and photo's from my trip to the KSC rocket garden to help with my build!!
    It was a case of trial and error to determine part location :confused:
  16. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

I have seen this site but it is a bit behind on the current ISS build.
    Alfonso's ISS build is to be released in real time so as modules are consturcted in orbit,you can add on to your build or choose a configuration of the ISS you wish to display.:twisted:
  17. Gideon

Gideon New Member

First off...sorry for the thread bump...

I so want to do this model on the red river metallic paper but I am a newbie to paper modeling and need clear build instructions. Of course, Carl went AWOL before completing the instructions for this build so there is not a complete set available. I was wondering if you took pictures of the build as you completed it or if you are willing to write up some step-by-step instrucitons or maybe a set already exists somewhere that I am not aware of. Any help in how to complete this build would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and by the looks awesome. I am quite envious of your 1:96 collection.

I am currently working on Ton Noteboom's Gemini Titan scaled down to 1:96 (I scaled the 1:48 down because the 1:96 version seemed to loose some of the detail, at least on my printer, and because I wanted the recessed hatches). It's been a challenge at my current skill level but a lot of fun too.

Thanks in advance for any help from you or anyone else who wants to chime in.
  18. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi Gideon,:mrgreen:

Thanks for your comments:thumb::thumb:
    Sadly I did not take any photo's of my build as it went along,only the finished item.
    But it was not to tricky to piece together from what instructions Carl had put together.
    Have you looked at other Mercury-Atlas(Carl's design) build threads on this forum?
    There are several and some have build pictures:twisted:

My NASA garden has grown a little since that photo.

Attached Files:

19. Gideon

Gideon New Member

Thanks Wayne. I'll keep poking around these and other forums. Keep up the good work...
  20. Well ask away. I already built one in Red River Chrome paper. It is posted here somewhere. I will try to find it. It is already available in 1:96 from Delta 7. I built about a dozen of them and sold them on e-bay (With Dan's permission of course and full credit posted in the add).