Surfduke's Astronaut Figure

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by SAustin16, Feb 17, 2008.

1. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Evening Space Modelers :wave:,

I finally gathered my courage and attempted to build Surfduke's Astronaut figure. I'm trying to focus on just two scales for my space collection, 1:96 and 1:12. Thus, I re-scaled the printed astronaut to 1:12 scale, up from 1/32.

This was my first attempt at building the figure, so please excuse the very rough construction. Any glaring problems are mine, not Surfduke's design.

The only real problem I encountered was the shoulders. I had to scratch build the upper arm to torso connection, which was pretty easy. In addition, I was worried about the clear face shield, so instead of cutting out the central portion and installing a clear plastic visor, I simply colored the paper.

The Astronaut is a fun build, and is ripe for someone with real creativity and skill to improve upon.

Attached Files:

2. wedge

wedge Member

:-D It looks interesting ... Can I download this model somewhere? I was wondering , how to make astronauts for my diorama . Maybe they will be resting in LM :-D But maybe I will use the same material , which I used for the bags on LRV...
  3. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi Wedge,

The Astronaut isn't available on the Web. Surfduke had sent him out for Beta-building.

Send me a PM with your E-mail, and I'll send you the PDF file.
  4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Wow, nice build, this model looks deceivingly simple... Is it going to be released anytime soon?
  5. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

You're right Lex, the Astronaut is very simple to build.

Surfduke had designed it in May 2007, and passed it to a few of us to beta. I hadn't heard any more about it when I built it in December. I haven't been able to contact Surfduke since November. I don't know if it will eventually be available or not, as it depends on Surfduke.

When Wedge asked about availability, I mistakenly thought it was available on MOS95's site, but it is not. I can forward the PDF to you, if you want to test build it. I don't think Surfduke would mind. PM me with your e-mail, and I'll get it off to you.
  6. gpw

gpw Member

Nice build Steve. I saw this model once on MOS95´s site too. A pity, that its no more available. Surfduke should release it again.