Surfdukes apollo card models

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by gpw, Jul 8, 2007.

1. George B

George B Senior Member

I hope these photos I took help you guys out.

2. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Thanks Very Much George. I believe i have seen that in a few pictures while lookigng around on the internet. I thought about searching around for the pics I saw but decided to let others get in on the thread. Thanks for the post. I believe that is but I am not sure correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the Apollo 8 CM?
  3. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Go Ahead George

Feed the rabbits, (LOL)! Tell them what a great time You had taking those shots!

I am sorry to have run You all over that day, (But You do have a better camera).

Good night,

4. George B

George B Senior Member

No actually it's Apollo 14, it's on display at the Astronauts Hall of Fame at the Kennedy Space Center.

5. George B

George B Senior Member

Yeah you owe me pal!! :mrgreen:
  6. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

WELL, gave it my best shot and a test of my knowledge. Well at least I knew it was an Apoll CM (DUH) LOL I wonder why they put new parachutes in it and don't you think it would be better for others if they made a way for visitors to look inside the CM not just looking thru the open hatch and getting blurred pictures with reflection. I think they should do something that would allow the visitors to 'step inside' so they can look all around the CM. And just a little note that would pertain to a museum display, I went on a trip for my ROTC class at school last year at McGuire AFB. They hada NASA display there where I asked a guy about being an astronaut and yada yada...anyways, he told me he heard theat Space Shuttle Atlantis is planned for retirement NEXT YEAR. He suggests that instead of putting it in a museum, they should fly it around to different airshows ontop of the B757. I think that is a good Idea. and can anyone answer the question as to why they moved the ASTP CM from the Saturn V Center at KSC to California?
    Thanks for sharing All
  7. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

The Parachutes are from stock ones that the manufacture had on hand. I have no idea why they reinstalled them. I can ask Dan at the cape, (He may know, (But the display predates Him taking the job of curator)). As for allowing access to the display, (i.e. getting inside), that will never happen. These craft are, (as all things are), in a state of decay. The only thing a museum can do is limit the advance of the elements attacking. I too would love to sit in the left seat, (LOL), but it is worth it to the next generation, to just be able to look thru the glass. Someday they may come-up with some technology to seal the display better, (Someday). You should see what the outdoor displays have to deal with, (Some are solid rust on the inside, with paint holding them together). The ASTP CM, is on loan from the Smithsonian collection, and They would be the ones to contact on why it was moved.

Hope this has helped with Your questions,

Atlantis will not go out next year, (That was reported last week). She will fly at least one more flight in the next years schedule.
  8. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

i know how to build the parachutes...what you do is you fold the glue tabs and the side triangle in a mountain fold...then glue the side triangles to the upper tabs on the sides of the actual parachut part...that way you get a trangular pyramid...sorry pics:mrgreen:hope this helps
  9. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Thanks for the answers!!!

Well first off Carl, I knew that there was never going to be a way to get inside. Though I wonder why they took off the hatches on some of the CM. I don't think the displays are that protected other than letting people inside to vandallize, if you look at eh display for Apollo I have looked thru this website

Google Image Result for

It looks as tho every apollo CM except for 11 and ASTP are all out in the open air. Apollo 16 and 13 look like they are in sealed glass 'containers' but the tops are open and allow the air to get to the CM itself. I see that a lot of the CM have plexiglass over the hatches and they are only surrounded by bars. I don't think they sealed the plexiglass as to allow maintainence or entrance into the spacecraft. Now Carl you say that you know someone who works at the cape huh? how does he like the job and you say he might get the job as curator because of the display? Thanks Little modeler for the help but do you have any pics of the completed d parachutes? Thanks for the replies everyone and good luck with your future models.
    Now here is a question for everyone. What do you do while you are amking a model (listen to music if so which kinds, do you watch tv?) as for me since it is a space build as always for me and it is an Apollo spacecraft I have the music from Apollo 13 the movie which they play whil the Saturn V is launching. I like the sound of it and it keeps me calm whil I work on the model. Thanks again
  10. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I usually have the TV on. I either have some sport channel on (baseball makes decent background 'noise') or I have a DVD on - something I've seen before so I'm not tempted to pay too close attention. One of the odd things is that I build with my glasses off - so even if I tried to turn and look at the TV, all I'd see is blobs of motion (nearsighted - that's why I build with them off, close up things I see better without).
  11. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Awesome stuff!!!!!! I built the "plastic" 5 foot tall model with a friend back in 74 -- This is great!!!!! Unbelievable work!!!!
  12. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

News from

Atlantis' planned 2008 farewell is now history... She will fly, along with the rest of her sister shuttles to the end of their planned retirement schedule (2010)
  13. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

questions about your CM's Gerd!!!

Hey Gerd,
    With your inflight version of the Apollo CM, did you glue the parachute protector onto the model or is it still removable?
    About your post-flight version, did you have any trouble with the size of the piece that the tunnel, parachutes and the mortars are attached to? ( the circle piece that the tunnel is glued to which makes the 'top of the CM')
    Yes it is a bit confusing. Did you glue the hatch shut? and can you get pictures of the parachutes please?
    Thanks Gerd and i hope you can make sense out of my descriptions.
  14. gpw

gpw Member

the parachute protector is not removable, I glued it onto the inflight model. I didn´t thought about making it removable. Thats a good idea. Do it on your model .

I also had problems with the circle piece you mention , because it was too small and not closing the top. Thats why I glued it on a self made bigger one. You see it on the photo - if I remember it´s the black circular piece with the red frame. Doing this I could 'close' the top of the capsule .

I glued the hatch shut, because I built the post flight cm without interior.

Tomorrow I will make some photos of the parachutes for you. I will try to show how I fold them. But having seen the original photos my version seems a little bit away from reality,

15. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Wow Gerd I just realized something and I hope everyone takes notice of this, You can make an inflight version and a post flight version from printing the model ONCE. you can use the docking tunnel, parachutes, and mortars on the post flight version and you can use the interior on eirther version, althouggh one must stay closed WITHOUT an interior. But at least you get TWO MODELS IN ONE PRINT!!! I don't know if Carl made that intentional but if he didn't it is a good thing he did put all the skins in the model PDF. Thanks Gerd for showing me that I can make TWO models instead of ONE and thanks Carl for the great model/s!!LOL
  16. Michiru-Kaiou

Michiru-Kaiou Member

Gerd, those builds are marvelous. Great work!
    By the way: I assume your Frankfurt is Frankfurt am Main? If so: Hello from the capital Wiesbaden! If not: Hi from Hesse!

Surfduke, I want to use this opportunity to thank you for the great work. Your designs are truly a big addition to the card modeling world!

best wishes Michiru
  17. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Itis a honor to do these projects. I have said many times that it is a team effort, (Beta Builders, Instruction Writers, Post/Host,....etc...). It is a lot of fun too.

Hope You cont. to enjoy these, and future projects from our group/team,

18. gpw

gpw Member

Hallo all,

After Lucas asked me to post some photos, I made a small instruction how I folded, glued and fit the parachutes to Carls apollo post flight cm. But it still keeps a riddle to me how to fold it according reality :-?.

Hi Michiru,

yes, its Frankfurt / Main, but only close to, its already Rheinland :wave:

19. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

well thanks Gerd, Hmmm. I wouldn't say i know how to fol dthe parachutes to mimick the real ones. Carl, do you know? or can anyone help? and have any pictures?
  20. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Gerd, Have you ever thought about putting lights inside the CM? I have a few ideas but I haven't put them to the test. I think that would bring the CM to lifeeither if you have the CM hanging from the ceiling or Postfilight display. I saw in a picture (I forget where but I will try to find it) that they use the inernal flood lights to light up the CM for everyone to view the inside. (not sure if anyone knew that or not but just pointing it out) LOL
    Plus, I remember somewhere I saw that the CSM actually had flight lights on it (again not sure if anyone knew) I think it would be really interesting for someone to find out the positions and colors and instal them into the model. Then you could hang it from your ceiling so you could have a lifelike CSM in flight and it would REALLY bring the model to life. Maybe after Carl makes the LEM, Someone could mate the CSM with the LEM and make Apollo 13. I think it might be neat to have alternating lights inside both vehicles and one could go off to show the CM shutting down and the LEM starting up and then vice-versa (Just a thought) They would make really neat display pieces for the daytime and night time. And who wouldn't enjoy imagining these vehicles flying over you taking you back intime to the moonlandings. I hope Carl plans on making the space station.
    SO I just felt like sharing an idea or two.
    Thanks everyone