Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Triop, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Triop

Triop Member

Wow...using these baby's right now :

They scare the s**t out of me...:-D

I found out that I had 12 left from when I was working at the hospital...:twisted:
  2. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Do they fit into an X-acto knife handle or do you need a special handle for them?
  3. Triop

Triop Member

No, they fit...not perfectly, but they fit...
  4. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Swann morton do a lovely pen shaped handle for them (my favourite knife) by the way next time you get some get the 10a blade its much nicer to work with and the tip doesn't snap off easily. And yes they are very, very sharp do not drop one on your foot!
  5. Pas op! They are sharp! I was cutting masks for an airbrush one day, it slipped out of my hand, it ended straight up in my thigh, an inch deep, still have scar to prove it..
    Cheers, Billy
  6. paul a

paul a Member

can anyone buy them
  7. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

8. paul a

paul a Member

thank you
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Swann & Morton Scalpel Blades and Handles

Here in Sweden we can buy the British-made (in Sheffield) Swann & Morton handles and blades in any craft or artist´s store. Furthermore, the people working in advertising agencies have been using them for decades. I use to work in an ad agency in the 70s and 80s and we used them every day. And the little box on the wall with the red cross on it was never far away - these scalpels are incredibly sharp, like a new razor blade.

For the kind of blades you have (it looks like the regular #11 blade), you will need the #3 handle. It is available as a plain metal handle, with an optional blue non-slip rubber grip, or as the "Retractaway" handle, where the blade can be withdrawn for protection. That´s the handle I´ve been using for about a year now and I cannot do without it. I use mainly the #11 blade (which is a bit stiffer) and the slightly thinner #E11 blade (which is 'softer' and a bit 'springy'). For cutting of heavy card stock, I use the Xacto knives.

Here´s the regular (surgeon´s) #3 Swann & Morton handle:
    and here´s the "Retractaway" handle, at the top of the list:

The regular #3 handle is not so very expensive and it will last a lifetime - a very good investment if you cut a lot of paper. Beware, however, if you are using plastic rulers! These sharp blades have a tendency to snag in the edge of the plastic ruler and wander away up over your fingers . . .
    I recommend a metal ruler or straight edge.

Good luck!
    Best regards,
    Bengt :D
  10. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

Triop, I almost passed on the additional pics of your work. I'm very glad I went back just now and had a look. They are terrific, among the best I've seen for education in paper modelling (and a super set of illustrations of what can be done in cutting detail with the Swann-Morton blade). Thanks!
  11. GT5500

GT5500 Member

12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Swann-Morton Surgeon´s Handle

That´s a sleek and nice looking one! I use the flat handles with the non-slip blue rubber grip, that slides over the regular handle with a little of the force.
    But using Dr Fronkonstein´s handle is the ultimate cool . . .

13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

How do these Swann-Morton blades compare to excel blades as far as longevity is concerned?
    By the way you guys talk about them, it sounds like they are much sharper than excel blades!

14. GT5500

GT5500 Member

They last a long time on paper and can be re honed quickly with a leather bookmark they last a long time like that, but when new they are sharp enough to cleanly cut through 80gsm paper thats being held up in the air!. I have neve liked excel/exacto knives but I may get one as the scalpel cannot cope with cardstock as the blade wanders, but for paper they can't be beat.
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Swann-Morton Scalpel Blades

I second that GT5500,

MUCH, much sharper! Keep away from finger tips - NO PLASTIC RULERS!!! They last long and are easily sharpened.
    But as you say, for thicker card stock, a much sturdier blade and a bigger handle is required.
    For this kind of work, I use a big old, dark red X-acto handle that is rounded and gives a very firm grip - the knife never rotates in your hand and the cut is 100% straight and absolutely vertical.

The right kind of tool for the job at hand is crucial.

Bengt :D
  16. Triop

Triop Member

I use them in these great !

17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Swann-Morton Scalpel Blades in X-acto-Type Handles

Why not, Triop?

This type of holder/handle pinches just about any type of blade! Great idea!
    Why haven´t I thought of that . . .

Sometimes you just need somebody else to lit the candle for you!

Bengt :roll:
  18. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Have you guys tried out the 10a blades? I really could never get on with the 11 blade as the tip can snap easily and they are designed for cutting down vertically into people! the 10a has a much nicer angle and the tip does not snap easily, might just be me but give them a try.
  19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

If you look closely, the 11 blade is slightly hooked; not much, but the 10a has a straight cutting edge to it. Swann Morton also do some much finer blades that go in a handle very much like the Exacto round handle, but onlt 4 or 5 mm in diameter. I think they are for eye surgery, but the blades are great for tiny cuts, and the chisel-ended blade is great for getting into the corners of windows and so on. Handle is , blades are , , and so on. Here in the UK most craft shops stock SM tools, or can get them for you. We use the standard, long and fine handles at work all the time, and of course they get used for other modelling projects as well....

20. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Heeheee heeee! I stocked hundreds of those things when I had my company going. Great the right hands. Too sharp for most work IMHO, but invaluable sometimes.
    I remember the time I dropped one, went to try and catch it and drove it into a bone in my hand...where it stuck...really good. I let more qualified people use them now!