Supermarine Attacker in 1/32 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by jrts, Nov 24, 2004.

1. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Yes Iam at it again :lol: :lol:

This one is a little cracker, when you download the kit you think "thats not bad at all a 1/32 for $5"
    Well you don't just get one plane at 1/32 for $5, you get two models :shock: Now if thats not value I don't know what is!!!!

It comes in Royal Fleet Air Arm and Pakistani Air Force colours as well (or what I call a "bog of") buy one get one free :lol:

The kit has: -
    One page of history
    Four pages for each plane (total eight)
    One page of formers
    One page of instruction diagrams

I started with the main body on this one, it has sections on the body to cut out for other parts to fit in. I have left these for now so as to make the rolling of the sections easy and I will cut the bits out later with a sharp knife.

Thats all I've done for now

More tomorrow

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Rob!

I've already done these and gave them to a co-workers kids. They LOVED them! I'll bet yours will too!

This is really and great plane from Nobi and pretty straight forward to build so that even I did pretty good with it. I know you'll love building them as much as I did.

This scale is great for novices like me, because I can cut, bend a glue the bigger pieces much easier. I really got to try and scale up some other models to this scale.

It's holiday time over on this side of the big pond, so I'm hoping everybody has a good and safe Holiday.

I'm going to really enjoy this thread, so I can see how to improve on something I've got a better idea of how it goes together.

Thanks again for sharing!
  3. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Done some more work to the main body of the aircraft tonight.

While laminating up the formers for this model it hit me :idea:
    With the design of the aircraft (not the model) being a wider body with a narrow nose section, if kids play with it and it takes a nose dive the main former just might give. The result would be that the nose would compact into the wider main body section, making almost impossible to repair :cry:

To get round this I laminated the former for this section from 1mm to 2mm and fitted and inner body ring behind the former. This will I hope stop the skin of the plane from crumpling on impact.
    Also to give it a stronger construction I have used strips of card to join the sections together, then fitted the formers after the sections have been put together. If you do this the formers will have to be shaved to the shape of the body sections or the will show when glued in place!!

4. barry

barry Active Member

I wonder how it would fly modified for an old Jetex engine that should give the neighbours a shock. looks great

5. jrts

jrts Active Member

Fitting the engine.

With this bit if you fit the engine as per the instructions, you will either have a white inside or a white ring on the outside of the engine.
    So what I did was to print another engine part.
    I then cut just under 1mm of the edge to allow for the outer ring. Glued it together with the colour on the inside. Then with the first print of the engine just cut off the part that will show on the outside and glue this to the other engine part as shown. It does give a better effect to the model and I think worth doing.

6. jrts

jrts Active Member

Engine is now glued in place and the other body sections almost ready to glue thogether.

More later I hope

7. jrts

jrts Active Member

Don't tempt me, I have some rocket motors :lol: :lol:

8. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all last bit for tonight

I used the scrap card from the engine to line the intake walls, you can't realy see them if you don't do it. I just thought I would as I had the spare card.

Glued most of the body together, just the nose cone to do then on to the wings tomorrow.

More then :roll:

PS No its not an airship :lol:
  9. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

I went away for the weekend with the Mrs and the kids to do some sailing and some steam train rides.

Well back to it,

Finished the nose and tail sections, all thats left to do now is the wings and wheels. I should have these fitted tonight with any luck.
    So far all fits well and had no problems building it at all.
    As this will be given to kids to play with, I have stuffed the wings and tail section with tissue paper to give it some strenght. This might make it last a bit longer before repairs are needed.

10. jrts

jrts Active Member

More later

11. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Nice bit of modeling! - L.
  12. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Another one done :roll:

All thats needed now is a little touch up paint work along the leading edge near the wing root.

I have built this to take some heavy blows rather than the way it looks.
    If you build this to give to kids it does come with the wheels printed in the up position as well.
    I built it with the wheels down, but I have kept the parts that I cut out so they can be glued back on if the wheels get ripped off.

Well here are the photos

13. jrts

jrts Active Member

It has been a nice build and an easy one, the scale at 1/32 does help a lot.
    Another great Nobi design and I will build the other version of this soon, as I think it will go down very well with the ankle bitters :D

The price of this at $5.00 has got to be a bargin, two toy planes for the price of one :shock:
    They should keep the kids of my back for a while :lol: :lol:

14. barry

barry Active Member

Really, really smart job let us know how it flies.

I love that paintjob got to build mine soon

15. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi all,

Supermarine attacker is my very old design, in that time my skill still be a newbie (until now, i think i still newbie what must have more practice and practice) original mesh file of attacker is gone because my hdd crash but when i saw JRT's build make me want to design a new one with full cockpit :D but i must clear my design in hand first.

i like that red tip of nose :D it look like that attaker have a red lip :D beautiful one. thank you very much JRT, i really enjoy your build
  16. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Nobi

Thanks for the kind words mate. :D

If you get round to designing a new one, put me down for a copy.

My eldest son took it to school today to give to one of his mates thats not well at all.
    It will be played with and enjoyed for shure :D

Thanks for another fine design