Supercharged multi-cylinder?

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by vette_7t9, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Howcome the 2-strokes are only single cylinders? Cant you make inline or V multi-cylinder arrangements? For instance an inline 4 or V4 with 0.05 cylinders will sum up to a healthy 0.2. Thats not bad, because I think multicylinder engines run smoother, from my real car experience. A V10 would be ideal, but I'd like to see 2-strokes in more cylinders than 1.

Also, did someone already come up with a supercharger for 2-stroke? It can be done, old pulley + belt drive. A turbo would be harder to re-route the exhaust. But I think super can be done. Ill try when i get a nitro car.:)[8D]
  2. hayataro

hayataro New Member

A 2-St. Engine must have "PRE-Compression" in crankcase. (I do not know exact expression of Pre-Comp.) If (for example 2-Cylinders) both crank-phases are not same, Pre-Comp. cannot be achived. In Some motorcycle using 2-Stroke-Engine, it havs a "labyrinthine seal" to separate both crankcase.

A exhaust chumber (PIPE) does the action which is the same as the turbine.
  3. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

What im sayin is can they make a multi cylinder 2 stroke. Same displacement, not more. Of course not like 4 cylinder .8 engine. Thats not realistic. More like .25 engine but with smaller cylinders. It would probably be more efficient.
  4. timrock

timrock Active Member

i recall talking to somone about a tiny V8 engine with the same displacment as a 1/10 scale rc nitro engine.sounded pretty far fetched at the time but i know it can be done.
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

i should say i believe it can be done
  6. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Yup, wonder if 2 stroke inline 4s will whine like honda civis and if the V8 would be grunty. I do however think a belt driven supercharger can be done. As soon as i get out of school and have some spare time i will attempt it(i will be auto engineer so lots of machining resources).
  7. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Connely Precision makes a 1/4 scale V8. Thats the same guy that makes the perry pumps for aircraft and other aplications. He now has a V10 and here is a link
    http://www.conleyprecision.com/
    the two stoke V2 is something I have been designing for about two years now. I have the whole thing made in a program called gmax and i just need time to mill it out. But the thing that hayataro was talking about is that in a single cyl. engine as the piston travels up it sucks fuel into the crankcase through the carb. As it travels down it sucks the atomized fuel into the cyl. for detonation. If you have a piston moving up at the same time as you have one moving down you dont get the suck to take in more air/fuel through the carb. That is where spliting the block into two sealed chambers comes into play. I will take some time and post a screenshot of two on my website so yall can see what I am thinking.
  8. speedo

speedo Member

os makes aircarft twins that are 2 stroke.
  9. speedo

speedo Member

sorry not os but supertigre use to
  10. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Thats true, but they are in-line or 180 degree designs. Not like a V. Also when you increase the amount of cylinders you drop the RPM because of balancing. But you gain torque and horsepower so higher gearing makes up for the drop in RPM.
  11. timrock

timrock Active Member

thats not especialy true about what rockn82 says;the drop in RPM do to increase in cylinders.
    i have a small block Chevy V8 revs to 10,000 RPMs.i had four cylinder cars.non of them reved past 5500.though th four cylinder cars were stock and,abviously the V8 isnt but..so he doesnt know what he is talking about.
  12. CaNaDiAnRaCeR

CaNaDiAnRaCeR Member

It is true when it comes to R/C model engines. If you look at O.S's line of multi-cylender engines, you will notice a durastic decrease in RPMs but they will put out more torque and HP. With full-scale cars it is different cause they can have different compression ratios, different timing and lots of other things that are different between full-scale cars.
  13. speedo

speedo Member

hey forgot saito makes a inline twin that is like a v one cylinder is sort at a 45 degree angle and not as the older supertigre ones. here is a pic of the saito horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=SAIE200TI
  14. speedo

speedo Member

seems my link is not working i'll post a pic.
  15. speedo

speedo Member

here is the pic

[file]SAIE200TI-250.jpg,4058,,[/file]
  16. timrock

timrock Active Member

Nice engine!
    CaNaDiAnRaCeR:
    you are talking about stock engines.rockn82 is talking about his own design and saying when you increase in cylinders you drop the RPMs because of balance.this is not especialy true.im sure they can be designed to rev way higher but they just dont make/manufacture ones that do.
    making a custom engine with muilty cylinders that rev as high as any stock single cylinder engine can be done.that was my point.you just didnt understand that i used full size car engines as a metaphor.
  17. timrock

timrock Active Member

rockn82 doesnt realy know anything from expeirence.any good advice he gives is just from his research.he didnt even know what horespower was a week or so ago until he looked it up.

BSer.why?not sure.do i care?no.but i wouldnt take any advice from him knowing all the stuff i read that he posted.(alot of BS)and im sure he doesnt have the means to design and engine and realize it.
    when he said `when you increase in cylinders you drop the RPMs`i recognized that he was going by what he read about what is avalible as far as stock engines and thier specs.i can tell he doesnt know anywhere near enough to design an engine just by that alone.not to mention him just learning what HP is a week ago.
  18. timrock

timrock Active Member

also he says they dont make engines like the one in the pic speedo posted just prior to the pic being posted.that just shows that he didnt find one like that when he researched it with his computer.
  19. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Hey Rockn82
    That site is awesome! I like that engine. Also, I think to make things scale down, they should scale down engine size too. Like 10M would be 1M in 1:10 scale, a 427 V8 should be scaled down too. Dont know how tho, cuz 427 is cubic inches not just inches. It would be really interesting to see and test RC cars like those.
  20. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

WOW super expensive too
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.