Super Tucano build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Nothing, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

I was fascinated by this little plane when Claudio announced designing it. It is a really cool looking plane. not much thought is given to some of the more interesting trainers and light militery craft. doing some digging around and it seem there is a rumor that Blackwater is thinking of purchasing several of these aircraft.

I decided to start with the cockpit first. got the tub done and part of the rear station. the panel(it is hard to see) i have the "glass" areas celophaned.

tucano 001.jpg
    tucano 002.jpg
  2. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

:thumb:looking excellent so far buddie !!!! look forward to following this build :thumb:
  3. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i spent the last couple of days repairing and upgrading my computer, but i have a small update. i got the front instruments in.
    tucano 002.jpg
  4. tazman3

tazman3 Model Designer Wannabe

Looking good nothing! When you say you used "cellophane" do you mean the sheet acetate, or did you actually use Glad Wrap..:mrgreen::rolleyes:

Having fun watching this build, thanks!

5. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Fine build on the cockpit. Nicely detailed model. Can't wait to see more of the build.

Even with the sharpest blade, how do you get the small cuts (like the cut-outs for the screens) so clean?
  6. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

thanks guys

tazman3 i used the clear wrapping of a cigerete pack!

jagolden, it took 2 new blades just using the very tip. when the very tip broke i switched to a new one.
  7. tazman3

tazman3 Model Designer Wannabe

OH! Sweet idea...I'll have to try that one myself!

Thanks nothing...curious...I know how easy those tips break off, because I'm heavy on the blades when I use them...have you ever tried finding the ceramic blades?
  8. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i havnt heard of ceramic blades. but im gonna look for them now that you mentioned them!
  9. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I remember Claudio only released this not long back, so fast already... Nice cockpit! Waiting to see more...

P: Aren't metals supposedly tougher than ceramic?... So if metal blades are to fail then there isn't that much to expect from ceramic ones... :D
  10. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i guess that would make sense. i have heard of hardened ceramics being more durable on a small scale than metals.

all i have left on the cockpit is the heads up display. there are more parts for this but they are so small i just couldnt make em work.

tucano 006.jpg
    tucano 007.jpg
  11. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

heads up done(see avitar) 2 layered plates of "glass" on some teenie, tiny frames!
    tucano 008.jpg

started tail.consist of 5 peices.not as tricky as i thought it would be. the main fuselage parts i butt glued instead of tabing it.
    tucano 009.jpg
  12. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

little more of fuselage. a little difficult with no internal shape formers but otherwise not too bad.
  13. Alcides

Alcides Member

Very nice. It looks very sharp.My only comment is maybe you have to color the edges.
  14. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

thanks. yes i tend to do a lot of my edge work at the end during my cleanup phase.
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...But isn't it impossible to colour edges after they've been joined together?
  16. Looks really good so far, even without those internal shape formers. As Alcides said, color the edges.
  17. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

sometimes yes sometimes no. in this case it will be easy. the areas i know i cant after ill do before like the cockpit. youll see when im done.
  18. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I'm eager to see the way you do it ^^
  19. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

You're doing an excellent job! When my wife and I saw the cockpit, we said WOW!
  20. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

WOW indeed! :-D