Super low-cost air brush

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
If any of you have a Harbor Freight store in your area and are not sure if you want to spend big bucks on an air brush just to learn on, here's a really, really cheap solution. I bought one several years ago, it works fine, I can't compare it to anything else because I don't have anything else, but for $2.99, how can you go wrong.

Oh yeah, you do need a compressor. I didn't feel like using the one I have in the garage so I bought a small one just for use with an air brush. I also got that at Harbor Freight for...well.....gee, around $60. :D

This coupon is good through Sept 9th.

Attachments

• Air brush.jpg
    Air brush.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 154

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Even if it is not to your liking for detailed work on engines and rolling stock, a general airbrush like this can be good for landscaping/scenicking and weathering.

Great find!

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, I see where the coupon says 9-6-06, but the ad says all coupons good until 9-9-06. Note what's on the top of the ad:

Attachments

• Coupons.jpg
    Coupons.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 144

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
inkaneer said:
Hey in addition to the airbrush get the 10" pneumatic tire and use it as an air source.
You overlooked the sand blaster that you can use to strip you stuff before you air brush them. A bit harsh, but a lot quicker than some other methods that I've heard about. :D

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
I bought that airbrush about month or so ago. I got it on sale for $4.99...DON, where were you with that coupon when I needed it!sign1
Mason Jar's assessment is right on the money...I can't see doing detailed work on locos or rolling stock but for weathering and sceniking...ya can't beat the price. Also, you can get good results with it to boot! this was my first attempt at painting and weathering ANYTHING, so it's a good one to learn on.

Attachments

• bridge.JPG
    bridge.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 134

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Good job Steve. And yeah, even at $5, that's a great deal. That's what I paid. For $3 I might go buy a second one just to get a few spare bottles and some hose.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I bought a couple a while back, but haven't had time to use them, yet. I've heard from guys in the modular club that the air hose fitting tends to come loose from the sprayer, but the easy fix is to put it back in with a bit of epoxy and let it cure completely before you use it again.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Remember this $2.99 airbrush? Well, I went to Harbor Freight today and picked up a few things using those coupons that they email to me. Here's what I got:

2 airbrushes with two bottles in each package,---- $2.99 ea
2 six outlet power strips,---- $2.49 ea
1 3 pack of glue,---- .49
1 pk of dental probes---$2.49
1 18 pc mini-screwdriver set ---- $1.49
2 6 pc mini-clamp sets----- .49 ea.
3 mini-flashlights with batteries and spare bulbs ----$1.99 ea.

I spent $24 including tax, and saved around $50 off their regular prices. Not a bad day, and unlike most times, they had just about everything I went there for..:thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• Harbor freight.jpg
    Harbor freight.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 93

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I agree, Don... it is one heckava buy. I can't buy two Badger spray bottles for what one entire air brush set costs. Did you check out their dual action air brush? I probably won't use it that much, but it's great for fine detail work.

Bob :thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Did you check out their dual action air brush? I probably won't use it that much, but it's great for fine detail work.
Cool......how much was the dual action ab?

Dan McDonald

Sep 21, 2006
Miramichi, NB
Hey guys, I'm new here(this is post #1) but just reading above I read about a sandblaster, not sure if you are aware but you can buy a sandblaster that is the same size as the above airbrush. Great for detail blasting! You could use table salt, or baking powder to blast with.

I'm an airbrusher in my other hobby so I'm spoiled when it comes to AB's but for the general coloring those above brushes are a good deal. But you can't beat a top feed dual action for detailing.

Anyway, glad to be here I hope to get my layout started within the next month!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Iron Goat said:
I agree, Don... it is one heckava buy. I can't buy two Badger spray bottles for what one entire air brush set costs. Did you check out their dual action air brush? I probably won't use it that much, but it's great for fine detail work.

Bob :thumb:
I saw the dual action one there, but I didn't even price it out. I was on a roll and had a clerk actually helping me find stuff on my list and didn't want to lose him.

Hey guys, I'm new here(this is post #1) but just reading above I read about a sandblaster, not sure if you are aware but you can buy a sandblaster that is the same size as the above airbrush. Great for detail blasting! You could use table salt, or baking powder to blast with.

I'm an airbrusher in my other hobby so I'm spoiled when it comes to AB's but for the general coloring those above brushes are a good deal. But you can't beat a top feed dual action for detailing.

Anyway, glad to be here I hope to get my layout started within the next month!
Dan,

Welcome to the Gauge. Glad you stopped by, I hope you hang around as you progress with that layout. Keep us posted as you go along. In the meantime, don't hesitate to ask questions or answer a few.

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Nazgul said:
Cool......how much was the dual action ab?

Steve... I think I paid 7.99 for mine (complete with 2 or 3 bottles, an air hose, and airbrush), it looks very much like a Badger model. Since then I saw it advertised on a special for $5.99...

Bob

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Iron Goat said:
Steve... I think I paid 7.99 for mine (complete with 2 or 3 bottles, an air hose, and airbrush), it looks very much like a Badger model. Since then I saw it advertised on a special for $5.99...

Bob
That's about right for Harbor Freight. If you can wait, just about everything they sell will go on sale. I've saved hundreds of dollars on some larger woodworking tools. Some smaller stuff, like those mini-clamp sets were regular $1.99, I got them for $0.49. The flashlights were $5.99, only $1.99 with the coupon. The $2.99 airbrush kit normally sells for $9.99. For those that don't have a store in their area, they do have a web site and do send out catalogs for phone orders.