Super glue mishaps

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by KCStephens, Nov 20, 2007.

1. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

After reading a thread in the tips and techniques forum on rigging, I got to thinking...... I just wonder how many of you out there have had a misfourtune with super glue? You know the kind - glued parts to self - glued self to parts - glued self to self! Okay admit it, I know I'm not the only dope out there who's done it. Don't be shy - lets hear about it!
  2. jparenti

jparenti Member

I've walked around for days waiting for a tiny piece of super glued carstock to come off my hand. I basically laminated it to my fingertip. And I know all of you out there have walked around with colored fingertips from an inkjet printer. It's not as easy to explain to your friends as you'd think.
    There was an incident where I glued my finger inside of the telescope tube for a Hubble Space Telescope model. I left a little blood inside that one. (Tip: Don;t use an Xacto blade to seperate skin from cardstock. You'll ruin the model!) sign1
  3. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

not card model related, hell it didnt even happen to me,

my favorite all time super glue incident was when i was listening live to the radio when ART BELL super glued his lips together..

talk about hysterical, i never laughed so hard in all my life...

was any one else lucky enough to listen to his show the night that happened? man he mumbled through the rest of the show

rolf lol

those were the good ol days!!!!

4. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I've never superglued myself too badly - I've always been able to pull it off quite easily.
    It was sometimes hard to explain the odd colors I'd have on my hands sometimes for days back in the wargame miniature painting days though.
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I stuck my fingers together with superglue during use when I was 7, never used it since...
  6. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I've super glued my fingers together a few times, but it's not a problem for me anymore. I got this stuff called Golden West Super Solvent. Unlike acetone, which helps a little, this stuff really works. It dissolves the super glue completely and leaves your fingers totally clean. No need to rip your skin apart again! You only need a couple of drops, so it lasts a long time, too. I got it at a local hobby shop. Do a Google search for it.

Attached Files:

7. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Super glue problems

Hope this thread is still active.
    Guys, Get a bottle of fingernail polish remover that contains acetone. About a dollar at the dollar store (no pun intended) Acts as an instantaneous super glue debonder. Also, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is an instantaneous super glue accelerator.
  8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I sliced my finger really bad while pulling a cover off a VCR. Being self employed and generally cheap, I took and washed the cut (deep enough it went thru the fat pad) and squeezed it together really tight. I ran a bead of Gel crazy glue down on top of it (the cut seam) and it held it together, burned like h@ll. I went to the doctor a couple of days later for an unrelated issue and he said leave it alone, I probably saved 5 stitches.
  9. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

:eek::eek::eek:AOoowwlllllllllcch! #*&*&$! *#$&#! that hurts!!!:eek::eek::eek:

How do you use the baking soda as an accelerator for CA???
    Is it still in a powder form.. or is it mixed with something..? Please explain. Also, Is there much of a residue?

10. David H

David H Member

Home cooking with CA, hmm, going to be some new posts in this thread real soon!

11. gippolot

gippolot Member

Similar to Zathros,

At my previous workplace we stamped metal products from 1.3mm metal sheet. The coils of steel used, are bound with a thin metal band, which must be cut before the coil of steel can be released and fed into a press. One of our die setters had cut the metal band, and the tip of the band, as it released, sprang back and grazed his eyelid. (Thank the Lord, or who ever your deity may be, his eye was missed. The company immediately changed its work practices for cutting the straps of steel coil.).

Anyway, I took him down to the company doctor, who simply put a bit of super glue over the cut. Unfortunately our die setter blinked during the procedure, and ended up with his eyelid super glued shut. (Yes, overall, it was quite funny, but I wasn't laughing at the time because he could have lost his eye.)

I use 5 minute araldite for anything that I needed to glue quickly, and it works fine.

12. BARX2

BARX2 Member

13. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

I stick my hands together each time I glue with Loctite. Yesterday, my brother got his fingers stuck in a ball, 5 seconds later, I grabbed his hand and pulled his fingers apart. I had similar encounters
  14. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Place the glue(I use liquid) then just dust a pinch of baking soda over it. If the soda doesn't touch CA, it just brushes right off. Just be sure you only have the glue exactly where you want it. If I'm working tight, I sometimes grind the soda finer.