Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by dansls1, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Just found the forum yesterday and wanted to post up saying 'hey' and introducting myself. I have recently kicked my addiction to World of Warcraft (online video game) and decided to dig out some models to work on. I grew up a model freak - and built tons of cars and planes in plastic, eventually finding my dad's stash of paper models and building up most of what he had. There was a 1/2 dozen planes, a couple blimps and the Nimitz aircraft carrier from Wilhelmshaven. I finished a bit over 1/2 the carrier (including at least one of each plane) before I graduated from high school, moved from one parents to the others and pitched every model I owned.
    At that point, I didn't build anything for about 10 years (other than some fantasy figure painting - D&D and the various warhammer games). Then I caught the bug again and ordered an ME 262, a Lutjens and the Bismarck from Wilhelmshaven again. Built the plane - other than landing gear and a few of the exterior 'bits', then it sat on a shelf for another 6-7 years and came out last week.
    I also picked up some 'Model Art' Mercedez model from Toys R Us a few years back for like $5 and started on it a bit. So I'm currently finishing the ME 262 and working on the Mercedez. When the plane is done, I'll probably consider basing the Lutjens and building it with the car as something to do while the glue is drying.
    As far as me - I'm 36, have a BS in Chemical Engineering, work as a quality engineer / quality system coordinator. I own a 2004 GTO (hence the screen-name, Dan's LS1 - the LS1 being the engine shared with latemodel Corvettes and F-bodies) and a 1979 International Harvester Scout II. Obviously the cars are another hobby, and I also chase the ball around the golf course, weather permitting.
    Look forward to checking out more of the awesome builds on the site ;)
  2. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Good to have you here! Whell, uh, welcome to the site. May you post long and prosper. :D
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hey Dan! I'm glad you finally found us! Welcome to the forum!
    I'm sure if you look around for a while you will find plenty of things that will get your creative juices flowing!

Post some pics sometime of your creations! We love pictures here!

4. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Toys R US sells card models???

5. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I was in there looking at video games and came across this model on closeout - less than $10. It's thick card for structure with some dowels and a rubber band thing you can use to actually make it drive.

Thanks for the welcomes - I've already seen tons of cool stuff. Will post some pic's when I finish the Me 262. Other than that - nothing to show right now ;)
  6. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Dan, just glad to have you here. Make sure you pipe in from time to time with your 2 cents. Welcome.
  7. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

'Sup buddee!

That intro was smoothe as a gravy sandwich! Welcome!!!
  8. airbob

airbob Member

Welcome aboard to this group of misfits (I speak only for myself!)...the GTO that I remember was the classic 1966 with the 389c.i. I guess that dates me.....hope you enjoy purveying the wide assortment of projects that are always going at this website..."mind-boggeling"....:grin:
  9. Muttley09

Muttley09 New Member

G'day Dan great introduction i'm a bit of a car nut myself but i like the old classic's from the late 60's to late 70's i'm currently messing around with a 1968 XT GT's a 4 door with a 302 windsor (Australian car)but i would love to get hold of the Mach1 Mustang 1972,I love the big cars that the americans build.Your GTO is an interesting car built in Australia as a Monaro and exported as a GTO with some huge modifications to make it a more American car (more Power)
    There are some fantastic models out there and after seeing some of them built up got me hooked.There is a wealth of information here as well just need to find a starting point.Have fun.

10. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

Muttley, at least the engineers and designers on your side of the Pacific will build something like the Holden Efijy. All we get is a new Camaro Concept that looks like a smoothie made from all previous generations.
  11. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I'm very aware of the GTO being from Australia. When I heard they were bringing the GTO out, I first avoided it for a while thinking it was the goofy show car they had made a few years earlier. When I found out that it was basically a re-badged Monaro, that is what drew my interest.
    Having a Corvette driveline on a proven RWD chassis with 4 seats was what I wanted - and why I drive the GTO. I would have bought the car if it were sold here as a Holden (or Pontiac) Monaro and loved the car just as much.
    Now that I have a son, I'm appreciating the 4-door V8 RWD's a bit more. I guess the new Pontiac G8 is going to be available soon - so maybe the manufacturers are going to be building to suit my wants. Now if I can just convince my wife that she wants it as our next car...

And thanks all for the welcome. When I finish the ME 262 I guess I'll post some pic's up. It's not up to snuff compared to a lot of the models here, but I enjoyed building it and that's what's important. As I'm checking out the site and some of the model buildups, there are some amazingly talented modellers here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.