Sunshine won't even help

Herc Driver

Too bad...7654 is so dirty even sunshine won't make it look cleaner. Doesn't matter...it's making the turn for the refurb shop to get worked on. Probably won't get washed - but the maintenance issues will be taken care of.

Attachments

• PC120048.JPG
    PC120048.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 225

Pooh Bah
I hope she's backing up, because if she goes forward she'll stub her toe (that front coupling pin) on the next turnout.

Herc Driver

David - how right you are! I took off the rapido couplers and installed the microtrain knuckles and have yet to modify that trip pin. It catches most of the time...I had bent them just slightly more but I'm considering just cutting most of the forward facing metal off and leaving a much small trip pin to hold the coupler together.

Of course - I'm also thinking of switching one engine's Nscale couplers for a Zscale just as a test. Just got done reading the article on MRR about that...so armed with a very little knowledge, I might give it a go.

Russ Bellinis

Herc Driver said:
David - how right you are! I took off the rapido couplers and installed the microtrain knuckles and have yet to modify that trip pin. It catches most of the time...I had bent them just slightly more but I'm considering just cutting most of the forward facing metal off and leaving a much small trip pin to hold the coupler together.

Of course - I'm also thinking of switching one engine's Nscale couplers for a Zscale just as a test. Just got done reading the article on MRR about that...so armed with a very little knowledge, I might give it a go.

If you bend the trip pin into a "J" shape with the "nose" upturned, it will ride up and over any obstructions it runs into.

Herc Driver

Actually - they were on the rails (if I remember right) but they don't look it. There's a bit more play in the wheel sets of the Bachmann Spectrum diesels than I'd like. I'm going to check them with an Ngauge and see how close to standard they are. But although it takes a bit more power than other diesels - it runs well.

UP SD40-2

Herc:wave:, i think you did an AWESOME JOB ON THAT ENGINE!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: REALLY, it looks like MANY engines i have seen:thumb:(only in UP colors, don't see much CSX around here;)). GREAT JOB!!!:D -Deano

Russ Bellinis

I don't know if it applies to their n scale engines, but the trucks on Bachmann ho scale engines are mounted on a ball joint rather than just a swivel. In the modular club we have fount that the long spectrum locomotives with longer trucks tend to "step" off the rails if there is much irregularity at all.

Herc Driver

I agree Russ...I have three Spectrum's and every once in a while they depart the rails for what seems no reason at all. They pull ok, taking more power than other makers, but run pretty well once they get going.

Thanks Deano - I'm learning from the master (that'd be you). I'm still working up the nerve to weather the higher ticket diesels as much as I've weathered that one. Soon though...it'll be soon...