Sunshine Models

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
I have been reading alot about 'Sunshine Models' lately in RMC, and haven't seen any adds for them. I googled SunshineModels.com, and before I hit the 'enter' key, I crossed my fingers that I wouldn't get bombarded with junk

:mad: :mad: :curse: :curse: :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

Believe it or not I got nothing except, "no sites found, purchase SunshineModels.com"
:D :D :D

I am really interested in building the early 1900 boxcars. I don't have much info on them except what I have been reading in RMC.

Does any body use/purchase/sell/deal with SunshineMoiels? Have a catologue you could scan?;) ;) ;) :cool:

Any other suggestions on kit building or scratch bashing the early boxcars?

:wave:
Drew

Sunshine Models HO
Rolling stock P.O. Box 4997 Springfield, MO 65808-4997

Sunshine Models
723 West Katella Street
Springfield, MO 65807
[Available direct, mail only; No Phone, No Fax, No e-mail]
Sunshine Models produces a limited production series of
very specific prototypically correct railroad freight cars
(mostly from the 1930s-1950s eras).

Search for "sunshine models", you'll find some sources,
try mailing them a current catalog request with SASE.
I would think they would respond.

Good Luck, Drew:D :D :D :D :thumb:

In addition to Sunshine Models, there's also Westerfield Models, too. Here's the link:

http://users.multipro.com/westerfield/

If you go to Steamtown, you'll see a working HO scale diorama of the former Scranton DL&W yards and loco facility there. The rolling stock is from Westerfield. They are vacuum formed resin kits all based on early prototypes and are available for a wide range of cars and roads. If you're looking at Sunshine, then you know the work involved. The biggest chore for me is to build these vacuum formed kits square. I had to go out and get a gluing jig from Micro-Mark because I wanted better results with end and side joints being flush and square. The detail on the Westerfield kits is great. Here's one that I did some years ago. The trucks need weathering, but I always save some detail work for rainy days! ;) :sleeping:

Russ

Attachments

• nysw box.jpg
    nysw box.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 175

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Yea!!

Thats the type Im looking for, wooden doors even! Very nice car Russ.

I feel that I'm up for the challenge Russ, with the Sunshine cars, but I'll take a look at the Westerfield.

I really don't know too much about the old cars, dimensions, equipment etc. Any websites that you know that show dimentsonal data on the old cars? I would even be interested in scratch building them;) ;)

Thanks,

:wave:
Drew

Hey, Drew...

There's a book about American freight cars by John White put out by the Johns-Hopkins Press that gives the history of cars up to the first steel ones. It's well worth looking for. I have his 2 volume softcover set on passenger cars and it's an invaluable reference for brake rigging, trucks, you name it. Also, look for the Train Shed Cyclopedia series on period freight cars. You'll find both publications handled by hobby shops at the bigger train shows, on-line, etc. Take a look at the old Northeastern and Ambroid kits for sale on eBay. They're all wood kits and many were period prototypes. La Belle makes a line of period boxcars and reefers in all-wood kits. I've built their HOn3 passenger cars and have a standard gauge Soo Line side door caboose on the stack waiting to get built.

http://www.labellemodels.com

Hope this helps! :thumb:

Russ

F

Fred_M

This is rather funny as I live near Sringfield Missouri and I have tried to locate Sunshine Models myself. The guy at the Local Hobby Shop in Springfield says they are in an undisclosed location and do not sell to people, only places like Walthers. He claims he don't know where they are, but knows the owner who shops at his store. He said they were private and didn't want modelers bothering them. He also has none of their stuff in stock. I have also looked in the Springfield phone book and there are no listings. I know it seems rather stange in this day and age for businesses to hide out rather than advertise, but it's the story I'm getting. Strange but true. FRED

Hey dash10 (Fred?)
You could take a stroll by this place

"Sunshine Models
723 West Katella Street
Springfield, MO 65807"

and see what you could see, that address
was on one of the sites that had a reference
to the company (see my post above) but I
have no idea how valid or current it might be.

Hope he doesn't have any big dogs........ :D :D :D :D

:sleeping: Now where's my coffee cup??

Hey Now, Crew!

What you will find in many cases are manufacturers who really have nothing against model railroaders...hey, we're the guys that BUY their stuff! I know the project manager of a very well known kit manufacturer and they DO NOT give out the address of the facility, just the wholesale operation that they're part of. Why? Not because of us regular ol' modelers, but because there are some rather over-enthusiastic geeks out there who want to show up, take a tour, demand to know why their favorite road isn't represented, etc. etc. There are always those people who make 'road trips' and want to stop in and see where such-'n-such a company is, what its like inside, how they make stuff, etc. etc. Hard to believe, but true. It can be very disruptive. If you find the address of Sunshine Models to be an empty lot or a brick wall with just some overhead doors, this may very well be the reason.
:rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
The same was true for individual modelers.

Prior to a number of years ago the model rail magazines always printed addresses with names. Such as, "Here's a photo of a scratch-built 2-10-10-2 on the Bellygobbler and Western HO layout. Both are the work of Joe Blitzfik, of 123 4th Street, Lower Skunk Lip, Kansas."

There came some famous intrusions of privacy from that policy. Like some geek arriving unannounced with wife and screeching kids at 10 PM, and raising hell because the guy they woke up wasn't too interested in donning his slippers and robe to show them his layout.

The model railroaders who were more forgiving of the intrusions often regretted it when, after the rude intruders left, they found some choice models missing.

No. You cannot blame people for "hiding." Although I'd think someone who wanted to sell something might just find a web site or, at least a FAX number, a convenience for their customers. And who knows? It could even help them sell something once in a while.

BillS

Say Hey Now, Bill!

From what I understand, Sushine Models has a good following and hosts modeling seminars. I know what you mean by intrusions. I must admit, however, that on the many NMRA regional convention layout tours that I've been on, the layout owners have been welcoming and gracious. I'm certain that nayone who holds an open house will have their share of geeks, rivet-counters, armchair experts, and other clowns. Sad, but true. Every special interst hobby has 'em! :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

Russ:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Russ,

People on layout tours are invited guests. The layout owners are expecting them. Not quite the same thing.

But I admit that even if I did have a layout worthy of a tour, I'd not be inclined to open my doors to one and all. I respect and admire and appreciate those who do, but think I'd not do it. I've seen scenery crushed, and I've heard of thefts, and I guess I'm something of a private person anyway.

My father's favorite advice was, "People are no damned good."

BillS