Sunday - prototype or freelance

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Freelance of course. Why? Well, because I'm limited only by my imagination. Perhaps a bit laziness as well. :rolleyes: If something isn't "quite right", or "not prototypical", no need to change it.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
"Representational prototype" I like that! It describes my modeling of the Penn Central. Coincidentally I've just taken some paint to a couple of locomotives to create the beginnings of a short line that will interchange with my loosely based model of the PC River Division. Although I'm very fond of the Penn Central I was getting a little bored with all black locos so I started imagining a short line that survived the NYC and is still fighting to keep its identiy in the PC years. I've colored a couple of switchers bodies blue with orange cabs (a little tribute to my beloved NY Mets) that will represent trains from the Kings Port and Western, a ficitional freelanced line. I've numbered the units but need to create some custom KP&W decals...something new for me.

Ralph

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Well, I want to say both. I like Penn Central alot and have been pretty faithful to them over the years. I have to concour with Ralph the straight black and occational red/orange "P" gets boring so I have most of my paint scemes in old paint relettered for PC and Ive even done some modern (whatif's) in sdmacs I used the BNSF type paint sceme.
Tony.
ITS MY WORLD AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GET OFF..haha

C

Catt

Are you a prototype or freelance modeler? - why?

Yes,Because I can.:D

My Grande Valley Railway has always been a freelanced road.I do prototype modeling in the roads that the GVR connects with and interchanges with.

The GVR also connects to several other NARA member railroads and these are for the most part freelanced.My international partner railroad (the MAT) is also freelanced.

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Mine will be freelance, but based on actual proto yds. The MWG rr will work the 2 yd areas and run an excursion to New Orleans, but will interchange with NS, and Southern Pacific. Even decided last night to retro CSX back to Seaboard, so been doing some sanding on the CSX engines, just enough to remove the Lettering, but not the base paint, and will relabel these, and any new ones, as SCL. It's actually pretty easy to remove athearns screen print, just some light sanding.:thumb:

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Freelance - greater creativity. You could even make up your own freight and freight cars.

"We at the LMRR specialize in hauling ektosludge in our tri-bowl shapped container cars."

Get crazy with it! :)

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
i would have to say, BOTH!!!tooth1 i am HEAVILY INTO UP:D , yet all my layouts past/present, have been purely fictional places, and sometimes i run "out of date" equipment;) hamrtooth1 -Deano

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Freelance with prototypical inspirational asperations...:D

My narrow gauge never really existed on the Maryland/Delaware/Virginia Peninsula but it is entirely feasible that one could have. With the large seafood markets to the north and west in the early part of the 20th century ultimately to succumb to trucks and have to turn to tourist dollars to survive, it looks like an Eastern Shore version of the RGS.

My B&MC runs at the relaxed pace of the Maryland and Delaware Railroad. When I called their office years ago for a schedule, the girl said, "Oh sure, go out to the enginehouse in Selbyville on Thursday around 7 in the morning. The guys'll be out there after they have breakfast in town. That's about the only schedule we have." There's a prototype for everything...

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Freelance..What else?
My eyesite is getting pretty bad for counting rivets.
But I do like try scratchbashing buildings from around my hometown.Give my railroad a local and recoginizble theme.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I am what some call "protolanced". I use real railroads but the layout is not based on a specific place but tries to encompass the spirit of an area. Also I have placed the railroads that I model under one ownership not separate ownership as in the real world.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I like to see mine as an "alternate history" railway. The highway has not developed enough to be a threat and the railways in Britain were successful enough not to be nationalized. They did have a successful merger. So prototype rolling stock, but a fictional location.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Freelanced, too.

Since even the theme of my RR is freelanced (transport and refining of Fantasium ore ;)), the whole layout must be freelanced, too.

However, I'll try to model a typical Colorado Rocky mountain landscape, and the operation of the Trim Creek & Western RR heavily depends on leased rolling stock from the D&RGW and the RGS: :D

Ron

Chanda

Aug 25, 2006
Pahrump, Nevada
Freelance or maybe "copy-cat" as my track plan came from MR about 25 years ago. I built it pretty much as the MR article was written. Of course I changed the name of the RR and the setting was changed from Jerome, AZ to Tonapah, NV. I am still building it and it has been fun.