Sulaco!! 3' WIP

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Master-Bruce, Nov 19, 2007.

1. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

that IS the model I was thinking of, I guess I just thought it was the other one!!!
  2. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Another one that I'd like to build but I find it intimidates me. Too many small parts.

It does look cool though, especially when it's uber detailed with pipes and hoses.
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Would this help anyone.

I have this old plastic model kit that needs putting back together. Would it help with a card model design. If you want it, it's your's. Just please design a card model from it please and let me build one.

Ripley is about 6'' tall. There is one small part missing, but I will have a look for this tomorrow, as it may just be in my box of bits.

Attached Files:

4. Master-Bruce

I'd do it! I wanted to do a 1/6 version of it, so that's around twice the size of the plastic kit. I'm not sure how big the other papermodel of the Powerloader is.

It'd be a project for next year. ;) I'm not up to designing a paper Ripley though, don't have the modelling skill for her. Though someone else could? As a collaberation or something?

The average height of a 1/6 human is 12" so the Powerloader would be around 18" tall.
  5. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

hey guys i can start on an alien queen to go with the power loader ive made a start on the head already as i have wanted to see if this could be made into a paper model

Attached Files:

6. rlc321

ok this was a scan from my vynal kit and it has used too much information so its gonna take awhile to sort out, i actually borrowed the scanner from a friend to see what it would be like being as i cant afford 2,000 to pay for it i only have it for a week hehehe so i am gonna play
  7. Master-Bruce

Great toy!!!! Could he lend it to me too?? LOL

An alien Queen would be awesome!! I've often though that a model of the Aliens would be a nice addition to the papermodel library. They are complex though so not the most paper friendly of subjects.

I'm going to do a Powerloader in 1/6 at the start of the year providing I've finished my current stuff. A queen to do battlewith it would be great.
  8. rlc321

yeah that was the best part of the movie "Get away from you B***" a classic
    any way skulp i need some help the scan made it into thousands of tiny trianlges and i was wondering if there was any way to make them square other than doing it one at a time, i use metasequa. thank you for all ypur hard work.
  9. Master-Bruce

You mean,"Get away from HER, you B#*ch!". :)

I enjoyed the wholemovie but that scene was amazing! Even now it holds up well. You'd hardly believe that it wasn't real, that is was models and 1/1 props for the close-ups.

You could try reducing the poly count using Meta, though that sometimes spoils the mesh to the point it's useless. I'm not too experienced in meta, so I'm not sure if there's a way to convert from triangles to squares.

Is there a setting on the scanner to choose the level of detail the final mesh has after scanning? Kinda like resolution settings for a standard scanner?
  10. NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005 Member

Skup, do you have the link to the detailed powerloader? is it possible to download?
  11. rlc321

hey skulp no it only has one setting oh well just have to do it by hand, so im guessing it wont be ready till middle of next year. never mind, so thats now 3 designs i am working on......
  12. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i kept looking at different meshes of aliens. would love one. they are so organic and complex itd be a hard one to draw a fine line of detail and simplicity.
  13. Master-Bruce

The link I have for it no longer works. :( I'll PM you later. ;)

Oh, well then by scanning a model, you'll have a very complex mesh. It'd be ideal for a 1/1 bust!! Though for a queen you'd have a 6' long head!! I thought of doing on last year as a scratchbuild for my den. Then I saw sense. LOL

Nothing's right. As cool as these creatures are, they're not the best subject for a papermodel. One I'd love to have though.

rlc321, if it makes it easier. I could design the Powerloader to be bigger? Then it would make the queen more buildable in the complex areas? I've not even started it yet so it would make no difference to me. :)

Just a thought.
  14. Master-Bruce

Texturing has started!!

Ok, I've made a start on this. It took forever to get a set of colours I was happy with. Black and greys didn't work for me. So I went with a set of dirty blues!

I have some photos of the studio model from the movie so I used the dropper tool to get colours directly from them. I know they aren't 100% accurate because of lighting and what not but I think they good for this.

I've started drawing up the base texture, then when that's done I'll start weathering it a bit to give it more of an edge.

Here's a preview:

15. Master-Bruce

Excuse the distortion of colours there. The original sheets are in BMP format to prevent this. This is a JPG to keep the file size down for uploading.

Trust me, it looks better than it does above. ;)
  16. Master-Bruce

I've finished another part. I had to do this one before going to bed.

It's the plate that has the ships name. Just wanted to see how it looked. :) Again, just basic, no weathering.

I should add, that as well as the 31 pages for the model. There'll be more pages for extra panel plating. Most of the paneling you see in the two pics I've posted will be available as seperate extra pieces too. Giving the builder the choice of simple and detailed builds. Each panel will fix over the surface to give more depth to the built model. The builder will just need to colour out the white edges prior to glueing into place.

So expect more pages to be added to this. Though I'll probably have them in a seperate file. That way you only download them if you want them. ;)

Hope that all made sense. Off to bed now. Zzz Zzz
  17. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

looks good.i can see my program cant do some of the stuff i see here.
  18. Master-Bruce

Thanks nothing. I use the bevel tool alot. It's great for giving the appearance of raised panels. You'll be able to try this stuff soon. ;) I've coloured the tabs too for this model to try and cut down on white bits. I've built models before where I've scored all the folds from the reverse of the part. That way you avoid breaking the surface of the textured side. If you were to do this for this model with the coloured tabs, you'll barely have any white at all.

It's simple but effective. I'm still an amature at this so no doubt others could do it better than me. Jan Rukh does some awesome textures for example. He unfolds first then textures later.

I'll be doing more later. When these are done, I'll be adding smaller details. In the Sulaco studio model there were small piping and things over the hull. I'll be trying to add that in places.

Then maybe some weathering although I kinda like the clean version we're starting to see now.
  19. montagonfire

montagonfire New Member

Hey, skupilkinson. Sorry for the late reply, my wife and I have been entertaining out of town guests for the Holiday.

A rough design of the Betty already existed but I helped refine the design conceptually and drafted the construction drawings that the final model was built from.

Sadly, I no longer have those drawings in my possession and have no idea where they are at. However, the company I worked for then (wow..ten years ago as of this month. Yikes!) is still in business and I do stay in touch with them.

If I am able to get over to them for a visit the next time I'm in LA I will try and get those working drawings for you.

As far as the Auriga goes that was totally out of my hands. A gentleman name Sylvain Despretz designed the ship, not me.

Other sci fi stuff is numerous and varied. Some cool some not so cool.

Various stuff for Ultraman, Batman and Robin, Titanic and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within plus numerous other low budget stuff that probably isn't worth mentioning.

I'd love to see a Quattro design from Final Fantasy be built (which armorman will do once I get him some drawingswall1).

Has anyone ever considered doing cool designs from animation series? Some of my best design work has come from there.:thumb:

Also, skupilkinson, love the texturing so far on the Sulaco panels. Awesome.

20. Master-Bruce

Thanks buddy. I'd like to see if Gearz is going to finish his. If not then I may do it, especially if you could supply some solid reference. No rush though eh, I'm swamped with this and a few other projects right now.

Shame about the Auriga, it looked like a complex design but you rarely see any good shots of it in the movie.

This is interesting. Batman and Robin?? Also, I do like animated stuff too. I especially like the two different Batmobiles in the new "The Batman" animated series. They're cool.All sorts of stuff really. Could you PM me and tell me more? I'm always looking for new ideas and you could be full of 'em. ;)

Thanks, I'm doing what I can. I still think of myself as a newbie to paint shop pro. I like how it's going though. I finished some more areas lastnight and hope to get more done today. I have another BSG ship to work on though so I'm trying to focus on that too.