Sulaco!! 3' WIP

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Master-Bruce, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Hi guys,

I've been meaning to finish this for around 2 years now! I keep getting sidetracked by other things but this time I intend to complete it.

I've always liked the Sulaco, I think many of us sci-fi nuts do. It's a ship that IMO has never been done justice when it comes to models. The Halcyon kit was way too small and pretty much every other release of this ship is too. I read over at Starshipmodeler forums that a 3' resin kit was in the works and it reminded me of one I was working on last year. That was going to be 3' too but no-one seemed interested at the time so it got shelved. Now that I'm back to papermodels I decided to revive my old WIP on this and get it done!!

This will be a 3' model too I'll be spending a lot of time with textures as well as real 3D texture to detail the model. For those not into big models, I'll also plan to release a smaller, less detailed model too. Relying on artwork/textures to detail that rather than the real 3D detail.

I had already done most of the mesh for this the last time but found that alot of it was not as good as it could be so I got rid of alot of it and only kept what was good enough.

Here's where I am at the moment with the mesh:

Here's a shot of the studio model that was used for the movie. Mine won't be as dark as this as there'll be no studio lighting to lighten this up.

Anyway, I'm working at it as I type this pretty much so I'll have more later.

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome. :)
  2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

great i was thinking of doing one eventually! now i can take that off my list. what program do you use to make youre textures?
  3. Master-Bruce

Thanks! :)

I usually create textures using Paint Shop Pro8. Sometimes it depends though on whether I texture a model prior to unfolding or post unfold. For this one I'll be texturing it post unfold.

There'll be alot to do!

Here's some progress:

It's taking shape. I've split this into a rather moduler design so that each part re-inforces another so there'll be no internal support for this. At least, that's the plan. :)

This mesh of mine is based on a mesh created by Derrin Proctor, he used to have a website dedicated to his mesh designs, alot of them were Aliens themed but he also had some cool Starship Troopers stuff too. Sadly, his site has vanished, the links I have no longer work. Just thought I'd give him some credit for what he did. Pitty he isn't around anymore, it'd be niceto see if he's done anything new.

Anyway, I'm still working on this so there'll be even more later. I'm trying to do this quickly but I still want to do it right. :)
  4. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

This is looking really nice. I'm sure Gearz would be willing to lend a hand with this one. He mentioned to me once that he'd like to develop this model. I think the guy from the Aliens papercraft site has one on the burner as well. The other model that I'm jonesing for is the Nostromo.
  5. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

funny i was planning a nostomo and narcis!
  6. Awesome:thumb: another BIG ship to build.
  7. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

Awesome, can't wait to get my hands on this one. I've always loved this design, and the movie, but also thought the available models way too tiny.
  8. Master-Bruce

Indeed. I got so frustrated with the puny models that are out there of this.

I actually did the Narcisus. Had it all modelled, half textured and almost ready for unfolding. Then my PC crashed and I lost the lot! I was really upset with that but just didn't have the will to do it all again. :(

Yeah, it's been in Jans menu for years now but now sign of it coming any time soon. I've been waiting for it but got fed up so that's another part of the reason for me doing this one. ;) He does great models but he has other things on his hobby list too so you can't blame the guy.

Nostromo would be nice. I have a mesh here of it that I intended to base mine off. Nothing, if you're keen, I can send it to you. Though I have a feeling you'll already have it. LOL

Thanks for the comments guys. Keep 'em coming! I'll have more to show later tonight. :)
  9. clif52

clif52 Banned

Another Great Idea for an oversized Model

This looks like another great idea for a large oversized model. I need to quit making custom toys and start working on large paper models and props. I love these things. But what size printer will be needed to create these things?

10. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i pulled mine out and looked at it,its a lwo file super detaied.
  11. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

although its way down the list right now.too much on my plate.
  12. Master-Bruce

Clif52, All of my models are set to print onto A4 paper. It's quite close to the US letter size. So anyone can print my models off. In fact, most papermodels are meant to be printed out on the same size paper.

The Sulaco will be no different. :)

Nothing, the mesh is high poly but as I said, I intended to use it as a basis for a new mesh. I may get to it if you don't. See how it goes first. :)

More progress. The mesh is further along than this but I haven't taken any new screen caps.

Almost done with the mesh now. :)

Just finishing off the engines now and a few minor areas like guns and the antenae array at the front.
  13. armorbimbo

armorbimbo Member

Great work. Did anyone ever feel like they took a gun prop and added some do-dads and called it a spaceship?
  14. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

actually the gun turrets are M-60A2 Patton turrets
  15. Master-Bruce

Actaully that was the thinking behind the design. They'd already designed the Pulse Rifle and wanted the Sulaco do have a similar look to it. :) Something like that anyway.

It just looks so menacing at the begining of the movie, emerging out of the darkness with the blue nebula behind it. Ooh, sends a shiver! LOL
  16. Master-Bruce

Engines done. Almost there now then the real work begins on giving this monster some paint!! :)

That's it for today. I'll get back on it tomorrow.

17. Master-Bruce

WOW! Thanks for the 5 stars whoever that was. Only started this thread today!

Thanks very much! :)
  18. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

You asked for comments and suggestions. I have one; can you incorporate an internal support structure that will facilitate mounting the model? It need be nothing more complex than internal box structure tucked in between two bulkheads.

Also, I do designs and construction of a different sort (mechanical) and fully realize how much time and effort this kind of thing takes. Do you have a web site for donations. I would love to have the model and am quite willing to pay for the privilege!

Beautiful work.
  19. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

No way. Funny.
  20. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member