Suggestions on New Loco!!!

Chrisdapos

Dec 29, 2006
I've sort of shyed away from the 3 axel loco's and looked into the 2 axels. I came across the Athearn RTR GP60M, and I really like them! I think I will probably invest in a pair or them once the new paint scheme comes out. My dad bought me a GP60B unit today (Pleasent Suprise :) :)). Pictures of it will be in my layout thread! Thanks for everyone's input about this topic! (Oh yeah, thoughts about the GP60M's??) :)

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Well shoot, if you dad already bought you a GP60B, then you definitely need to get some Athearn GP60Ms or spartan-cab GP60s to go along with it. :D

The Athearn locos are fine runners, though I prefer to buy BB kits and detail/paint them myself. I bought an Athearn GP40-2 RTR and some of the details look rather crude.

As far as the prototypes go, ATSF crews loved the spartan-cab GP60s but hated the GP60M. The 2-axle Blomberg truck couldn't handle the added weight of the safety cab, consequently the GP60M has a rather violent ride. Lots of thumps and sways.

Chrisdapos

Dec 29, 2006
And....what do you know...a GP60M is on order from the shop (New "Swoosh" Scheme too) :) Super excited!

See my layout thread for pictures of the B unit! :)