Suggestions for fiber-optic cable needed

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
I have about 30 feet of 72 (?) strand fiber that I aquired.... One of these days I'll figure out what to do with it. So far the best I have come up with for ideas have been head/tail lights on cars, and possibly street lamps.

Would love to see a thread that showcase what people have done with fiber!

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
I used fiber optics to illuminate the windows of a boat I made for a N scale christmas centerpiece. The problem was that the boat was to small to put a bulb inside. So I put the light in a boat shed beside the dock and ran the fibers from there.

I used some fiber optic strands I got from a novelty store. Acme Novelty has these small flash lights with fiber optics coming out the end. They sell them in there kids novelty section for party favors and such. You might try looking in a party store to see if they carry the same sort of thing.

No end to what can be done with that stuff. Seems to me you have a bonanza on your hands. Mabie you should sell 1' or 2' lengths to some of the gauge members.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
By the way, There is more where this came from. All it costs me is the shipping. SO, If anyone wants a couple of feet or so of it , for experimenting with, I'll send you some. All I ask is to be reembursed for shipping and for you to post the results of your project on a thread like Guppyman suggested.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
ray

looked up in model railroaders and railroad model craftsmans found three good articles on using fiber optics mr are april of 1973 and november of 1990 rmc is november of 1970. many uses signals, marker lights on rr cars and 18 wheelers, advertising signs, traffic lights,head lights on road traffic,theater marques, the list goes on and on.the rmc adds the thought of movement blinking lights,flashing signs,strobes on towers,traffic signals that change colors.hope this isn't a info over load.