Suggestion for the Gauge

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Not sure where to put a suggestion...so here it is...

How about an area specifically dedicated to animation, regardless of scale. Where people can post photos or talk about any animated scenes. If it moves (and it's not a train) it goes into that area.

Would really love to see some of the inventive ways people are moving things. Could be great to spark some imagination and feed off each other.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That certainly is possible, let's see what kind of reaction we get before we even consider it though. Seems like whenever they show a layout on TV, there's always some animation there... Aside from the guys running it that is....:D:D

screen

Aug 18, 2005
Sterling, Illinois
Great idea! Faris wheels, log loaders, fork lift loading docks, track repair equip., and the list goes on - A how to section on this would be of great benifite for the reason that many do not attempt this because no one has shown us how!

Thanks FrankG for the suggestion!

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Russ Bellinis said:
Do you suppose I could teach the lpb's to actually build my railroad for me?

Get a bunch of those muscle-wire brakemen, replace thier lanterns with scale hammers and let 'em go. My luck, they'd start tearing down the house and use the materials to build a perpetual layout. Humm, I guess I could live with that.

Might make a good "b" movie for the sci-fi channel.

I like the idea of an animation section. Good idea.:thumb:

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
what a good idea, I am sure that there are many mobile sceens, like a cable way/chair lift or even a simple thing as a flashing light in a work shop simulating a welding opperation, I for on would like a how to on this type of modeling.....have a good one..steve

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Here's another vote for an Animation section. :thumb:

The section might also include discussions of sound effects - this time not for locomotives, but for background sounds (like a blacksmith hammering away, chirping birds etc.)
This is a theme I would be eager to learn something about.

Ron

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Perhaps Animation and Lighting in combination...............Consider, many animations involve lighting exp: Chase lights, FX, Fires etc.

Sounds like a good child board to me :)

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
After reading the follow-ups...I'd like to change my nomination to "Animation, Light & Sound". 3 topics that aren't covered nearly enough on the Web, and since I'm relatively new to model railroading, this type of resource in one place -- especially the Gauge -- would be invaluable.

I'm hoping specifically to find a way to animate automobiles in N scale. I have some ideas, and have been experimenting with some nifty possibilities. Sort of a cross between cars on "tracks" and the Faller system -- but with no visible, unsightly grooves in the roadway and without having the automobiles powered. I just have to run some more tests, but I think I can pull this off.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
FrankG said:
After reading the follow-ups...I'd like to change my nomination to "Animation, Light & Sound". 3 topics that aren't covered nearly enough on the Web, and since I'm relatively new to model railroading, this type of resource in one place -- especially the Gauge -- would be invaluable.

I'm hoping specifically to find a way to animate automobiles in N scale. I have some ideas, and have been experimenting with some nifty possibilities. Sort of a cross between cars on "tracks" and the Faller system -- but with no visible, unsightly grooves in the roadway and without having the automobiles powered. I just have to run some more tests, but I think I can pull this off.

Make a road out of styrenewith no other support under it. Just support it on the sides. Put a n-scale track under the roadwith a small locomotive pulling a train. Mount magnets on the cars extended up to just under the road. Then put free rolling n-scale cars with small magnets glued to the underside so that the magnets don't drag. The cars will follow the train by magnet.

boppa

Jul 21, 2002
australia
au.geocities.com
several things ive done or helped others do(sorry no photos-didnt think to do it at the time..grr)

drive in movie(at the time using a 6" b/w tv and vcr..) - now id use a small `personal' lcd style tv with a dvd player instead of a vcr

(ok this one didnt work that well-but it did `sorta' work)- a magnet driven chaindrive lake with boats..
2 bicycle front hubs driven by a wiper motor with a bike chain with magnet attached by cable ties. smooth glass lake surface and small magnets in boat hulls. boats get dragged around but boy there were a lot of `collisions'-the `lil sailors' must have had a few...

one that worked quite well-but was incredibly tricky to set up....- a `hovering helicopter'. a smal (very lightweight body shell) fitted with a very strong magnet internally and in a circle was set 5 or six(i cant remember how many exactly) very powerful speaker magnets out of destroyed 500w w bin speakers.
it actually `hovered' and would move around with wind gusts,people movin past etc.
just dont use it with a fan running in the same room-or the ambulance will have to attend a micro `accident' when it crashes..
ive also done many other `movement' models for other people but ive never had a digi camera and quite frankly ive never bothered to photo them when i built them..
wish i had as most were built quite a while ago for cash sales...
anyone who has one of mine on the gauge(northern rivers nsw)?

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
What ever happened to this thread? Still a chance of a new area? Seemed to get a pretty favorable response.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Do you have anything you are animating you want to show us?:D

I thought that one of the Mod Gods were supposed to add a new forum, or sumpton.

I'm glad you brought this thread back up because there are a few things I'd like to try, but need some motivation to get started. I'd also like to see other's solutions to moodmakers (M&Ms?;) ).

I vote for the "Animation Station" It's simple, catchy and fitting. Explain the content in the description. SFX, animation, lighting and sound.