Suggested layout designs

djatesu

May 15, 2001
Philadelphia, PA USA
Visit site
Great page...I just gradutaed from college and am starting my HO layout. I come from a long line of RR workers, mainly on the Pennsy and LVRR. Anyway...working on a 4x8...I want 2 seperate lines for now...whays my best bet?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
djatesu, (does that mean anything?)

I just made mine up. I'm doing a 1.2m X 2.4m (4X8) and I have two lines, also with a flyover, can be run as a double (twice round) single line, should I wish, with extension turnouts in case I do it all right, and extend the layout.
layoutplan.jpg

TOOT!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
This topic should have been placed into
"Track Planning for the Future"

Shamus

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Hello and welcome, djatesu!

Congratulations on your graduation! At this point of life, you're probably going to do more moving around than you ever wanted, for a while anyway. Take that into consideration first. Rebuiliding every time you move instead of being able to recycle costs a fortune over time.

Go with some form of modular construction for your benchwork. NMRA standards are fine if you want to take your modules somewhere and hook them up to other peoples modules.

I don't do that, so I made my own standard over the years considering clearances, furniture and window height in the various places I've lived. The result is everything is easily moved, reassembled like a kit and was utilized in every future expansion.

Two loops on a four foot ends up being awfully tight, unless you're building a logging railroad or putting a trolly line in an urban scene. I remember starting with a 4X6 over 20 years ago with a 24" radius curve which precariously hugged the sides of the board. Try and add to the ends to give yourself at least 6 feet on the ends for greater curvature without being hindered by encroaching reality.

It's been said here before and I'll say it again. NEVER DEEPER THAN YOU CAN REACH! Deal with expanded width on the ends and you will be glad you did.

As Shamus says, take a look at "Track Planning for the Future" and see what takes your fancy.

So what do you envision for your layout?

George.

[This message has been edited by George (edited 05-21-2001).]