Suction Tool

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Ajax, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Ajax

Ajax Member

2. cardfan

cardfan Member

I have one. It is really cool and I never use it. Go figure.

3. Ajax

Ajax Member

^ I guess that might be an indication of how useful it actually is... but it did look so very cool! ;) :lol: I stumbled across them when I was doing an internet search for those multi-pronged gem holding tools which I though might be useful for picking up small paper parts.

4. bwallaw

bwallaw Member

Something else from Micromark that might work better with paper, though again, I haven't tried it, is the Pic-N-Stick. Seems like this would be potentially less destructive than the grabbers, and not limited in the size part that can be picked up. I have made a similar tool from Post-It notes. I just cut a very thin strip and it holds the small parts long enough to put them in place. Just don't put glue on the piece while it's on the Post-It.
  5. How about just using an eyedropper? Squeeze the bulb to evacuate most of the air place on part and release bulb. The bulb should bounce back to its original shape and the lower pressure differential should hold the part in place on the tip of the dropper. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
  6. cardfan

cardfan Member

The problem with an eyedropper could be the irregular shape of the tip. Hard to get a good seal. My Hobby Pal has 5 different sized tips, but aside from the picture supplied with it to put in tiny windows I haven't really found a use for it. It is in the box of things I may use at some time or another. It is getting to be a big box...

7. Bikerpete

Bikerpete Member

I too have one of those suction tools from Micro-mark. Used it for maybe a day then put it aside as more hassle than help. It's just another piece of desk lint that I should throw away but don't. :roll:
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

This tool comes from the semiconductor industry where chips are vacuum "picked and placed". The tip is made of a very soft silicone plastic allowing it to conform and "seal" to the surface of the object being picked up. Neat tool but I've always found that a dab of plasticine clay on the end of a toothpick or bamboo skewer works extremely well for holding small pieces. Many plastic modelers use this method for holding small parts to be airbrushed. When done the plasticine can be recycled back into the ball for future use.

Best regards, Gil