Submarine model

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Kevin G, Aug 24, 2006.

1. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

How come the top view photo does not show this minisub on the bow??? STEALTH??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :grin: :grin: :grin:

Both ships look pretty good. What is the scale of the original and the mini version?
  2. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

According to scharnhorststeel earlier in this thread the original is 1/118 scale. There are 16 pages of parts in A4 format. My mini version is printed 16 pages to a sheet on a single sheet of letter size cardstock. I'm not a math wiz so not sure on the scale of the little one. I also left out the suicide subs on the mini.
    As much as I like the little one I had to have one pic without it, but ill go with the stealth idea!
  3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

WOW Kevin!!! Great built!!
    Thanks for the ideas!
    I already printed again the pages, and is in the workbench. I'm even thinking on enter it to the contest of the local scale society (the only member to enter paper).
    Thank you very much for the pics!
  4. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Thanks for the kind words guys.
    It was a fun build but its pretty messy and I really need to get the hang of edge coloring. If you need a pic of a certain part of the build let me know and I can get one up for you or if I can answer any questions about it.
    Can't wait to see what some of you better builders can do with this one!
  5. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Hi another newb checking in. Just wondering does anybody know if the sub should have bow planes or were they retractable as my model has none but does have marks printed where they would be many thanks
  6. chapuzas100

chapuzas100 Member

This it is the plane that I have used for my design.

It is of before modifying it for the Kaiten. I hope that he is useful.

A greeting.

Attached Files:

7. Gixergs

Thank you for the help and for the pictures of your excellent model I know how good it can look now when done by an expert I'm no expert but I am inspired Thank you again.
  8. hmas

hmas Member

Hi people
    the sub in the movie, model shown with the large cannon is loosely based on the French Surcouf sub. ( paper model available) The Japanese or anyone else never had a large cannon mounted on a sub.
    BTW I enjoyed the dvd don't speak Japanese, but it was very enjoyable.
    Re I-36 she is shown as bow planes retracted.
  9. Gixergs

Hi I did wonder if the diving planes were retractable so thanks for the info. Re canon armed submarines the British had the M1 which had a dirty great canon mounted on it she was lost in the Channel in 1925 when a collision caused the canon to be knocked off and the submarine to flood. I believe she was lost with all hands. None of the crew had confedence in the design and tragicly were proved right no replacement was built.
  10. hmas

hmas Member

Ok I should have stated WW2 subs:thumb:
    apart fom cannons, the poms tried steam powered subs, a 30 min crash dive???
    Modern subs seem to have no character to them.
  11. portablefrank

portablefrank New Member

hi, does anyone still have a copy or working link for this model?
  12. scharnhorststeel

scharnhorststeel New Member

Sea without Exit Sub Model

The link was working a while ago, but it looks like it's down now. If you still need a copy of the .pdf's drop me pm with a hotmail account or something and I'll send you a copy of them.
  13. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

Or you could try the wayback machine. Worked for me.

Moderators, remove my post if I'm out of line.
  14. Gibs3692

Gibs3692 New Member

According to a japanese site this model is actually ~1:124 scale at A4, if you print it on A3 this comes out as 1:87 (HO Scale), any train modellers need a submarine?
  15. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I was trying to get to the website, but the link doesn't work. I was hoping someone could provide me with the model?
  16. cougar32l

cougar32l New Member

Same here been trying to get this model,can anyone help?
  17. Gibs3692

Gibs3692 New Member

The web site is long gone (it was a movie release tie in in japan) but the contents were archived in the internet archive...*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/
    This one would seem a natural for some modifications, to return the sub to its original aircraft carrying configration for instance or the six kaiten configuration it finished the war with.
  18. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Thanks for the repost. I love to build sub models
  19. cougar32l

cougar32l New Member

hello everyone! thank you guys for the help. i successfully downloaded all pieces yesterday.