Submarine model

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Kevin G, Aug 24, 2006.

1. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

The complete front hull.

Attached Files:

• 6.JPG
      File size:
      12.9 KB
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks Gerardo! :D
  3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

The coning tower parts are not complete.
    From left to right, 18, 20, 19.
    Part 18 has a little cut in the lower front from a missing part.
    Part 20 goes at the front of the sub, but also has two tabs where a missing part goes (the light blue tab).
    Part 19, at first I thought this went on top of 18 just like that, but no. There;s more to it.
    Altough the hull is complete, there are some parts missing not found on files 7 or 8.
    Still working on files 7 & 8.

Attached Files:

• 7.JPG
      File size:
      18.7 KB
  4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

milenio, thanks so much for the build report, the pics are great and I'm looking forward to the subs completion.

This looks like a great model for novices, a nice model, and smartly laid out. I particularly like the half hull formers. I believe they will do a great job for what they are supposed to do and the fact that the bottom half is open, will allow for the fudging that always seems necessary in paper models. Full formers have a way of causing their own set of deformities, I think these formers will work out very nicely.
  5. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

You are right about that too Jon.
    Oh, and now that you mention it, yes, it is an easy model. It took me 2-3 hours to get to this point, so I guess any of our novice members would like to give it a try too. But is a big ship and would be a good add to all veterans here as well, displaying it anywhere will be an eye catching.
  6. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I left that out in my thoughts. I realized it was going to be big, that is was my first thought when looking at it for use in the center, its big, detailed enough (when the missing parts get added) for the seasoned scale modelist, but easy enough for the novice. That's an unusual combination. An excellent choice for a first model or an "take a break from the long project" build.
  7. jagolden

jagolden Guest

I believe the cut in the front of PART 18 is to accomodate part 20

The two little tabs on PART 20 slip inside the edges of PART 18

PART 19 should form a "tub" with the graphics on the inside of the tub. Then it is slipped up and attatched INSIDE PART 18.

8. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

I am not able to download file #8 from the list of files SteveO posted. I got the other seven fine. Can somebody hook a brother up? This looks like a model that I would want to build. Thanks.
  9. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Japanese Sub Model

I now have all 8 files saved. I trust that when the missing file(s) show up, someone will let the rest of us know!

BTW I find that I will pull up this site just to listen to the music. Does anyone know how to capture the sound file and save it to the local disk? I've never done anything with sound files before.

10. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Look for your "temp" files and/or your temporary internet files directory, look in there right after a visit to the page. The sound file should be there somewhere. Hope this helps

Scott K.
  11. SteveM

SteveM Member

files 6 and 7 now each have 2 pages with I suspect all the missing parts. File 8 is currently unavailable, maybe being updated to include all 4 "torpedoes".
  12. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Thanks for the tip on the music file. I found it and added it to my iTunes Library. Guess I am just a sucker for beautiful piano music!

Thanks for the tip on files 6 & 7. Downloaded the revised files and now have all parts to build this boat, I hope. I'm leaving for a 5-day motorcycle trip through the Rocky Mountains west of Denver tommorrow, so I hope to get started on the sub when I get back.

13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

a quick visual inspection of the sheets tells me that all parts are accounted for except the other pair of kami-subs. Unless there are other parts to go with the kami-subs then it's pretty much a reprint of the last sheet.

I really like this model. I think this jumps into line after the Airwolf build for me.
  14. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Hi friends.

These are some pictures of the progress on building the movie "Deguchi no nai umi" (Sea Without Exit) submarine.

BTW, it's now a beta, because I will get rid of the tabs and put stripes inside each section, in order to save the bulky unions at each section.

There are other parts that can be enhanced... well not the parts (they are great), but the way they attach to the hull... maybe parts from the hull and so.

I found that the song for the movie is from a Japanese artist called Mariya Takeuchi, you can see the video of the movie's song here:

Tomorrow is the next PDF file deliver, no. 7. It says... Sept 8, but from where, I wonder? From the meridian 0 at the Pacific? In that case, it's already Friday... or from your computer's time and date? I wonder. Then 6 more days for the final file. Again, you maybe can download it, but with the risk that it isn't complete. Anyway, the photos here have parts from File 7 already.

15. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Oh, another thing. The hull can be filled with something to give it a little more weight. What do you recomend? Paper tissue? Newspaper?

As it is now, its weight is very light, given the size (2 feet almost in letter size printing).
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

newspaper print would work............. or maybe paper towels

Good looking build anyway!
  17. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I have used that with great success with the two animals I made of the MB Creation Line

went to the close by drugstore, bought the 80 cent roll of TP and stuffed to my hearts content

18. The-Jazzman

The-Jazzman Member

Officially it's up now

Current Time in Japan Is 11:41 AM
    Sep, 8 2006

Current Time here is 10:41 PM EST
    Sept, 7 2006
  19. scharnhorststeel

scharnhorststeel New Member

Deck Repaint

Hello Card Model fans!

I've attempted a repaint of the I-36 decks using MSPaint. If the attached .bmp's are opened in MSPaint, set the borders to 0.0 mm all around and print at (I may have to double check this):

87% to match original model (@ 1:118 Scale?)
    72% to get @ 1:144 scale :)
    (100% is an oddball 1:103 Scale... shades of Revell

- Deck planking is closer to scale (as far as I can tell from photos of I-boats).
    - Breaks are in locations that are less noticeable (i.e. actual decks seams or under other objects).
    - Major panels and hatches are separate pieces to add a bit more depth and realism.
    - Optional "weathered" planking version (sorry, no rust as I cannot get this to be subtle enough with MSPaint).

- Results seem a bit rough (is there a vector graphic tool that won't have the annoying "steps" on angled lines?)
    - copied PDF images at 100%, but still get overscaled images into .bmp (is there a something I'm doing wrong?)
    - Details are not totally accurate as I have only some rudimentary line drawings and photos to work from.
    - Conning tower is next, but hull may be too time consuming (and I may resort to a waterline version ;) )
    - no tabs; these are either to be skins or tabs are to be made from cardstock and affixed on the back.
    - No instructions (but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out - the dark pieces are "backing" for the hatches, and, aren't required if one is using these as skins on top of a structural deck.)

I'm currently working on detailing the conning tower. Let me know if these are of any use.

The theme of "Sea without Exit" is haunting... I keep hearing it as I work on the repaints.

Attached Files:

20. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

Well done scharnhorststeel!
    great idea and well done.
    keep up the good work and persist with the weathering.