Sub Roadbed Help

Shlitz

I have L-Girder style benchwork and currently have the HO layout drawn on cardboard. I'm ready to cut sub roadbed on plywood from cardboard templates.

How wide do you cut sub roadbed out of the plywood? How much extra do you typically add on to the edges from the end of the cork roadbed to allow for attaching screening to the sub roadbed for later scenery?

I use about an inch on each side this allows you enough room to glue cardboard strips or webbing material,allows for a little wiggle room when putting track down in the event you have to move it in or out as you go. I go even wider with switches, enough room to add a ground throw, even if you are using a mechanical throw system a finely detailed ground throw looks good beside the switch. Also concider lineside buildings, water tower-if into steam, I would have them flat solid areas, just extend short pieces of cork along beside the cork that the tracks are going to be on then you have tracks, ajacent buildings, towers all at the proper height..Ron