Su-85 1:25 by Answer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clashster

Well, I have been working on this for a few days and taking pictures along the way. It seems to be coming together fairly well, so I decided to start a thread! (my last thread ground to a halt when I got to the canopy... we had a few words and the darn plane is sitting on a shelf until my skills catch up to my ambition!) Anyway, so far I have really enjoyed this model... There are very few diagrams and the instructions are in Polish, so much of it has been "follow the numbers". Fortunately, I somehow learned to look over the parts and visulize the construction before I cut. So far, there is only one part that I have no idea where it goes! On to the pics:

View attachment 7065

The obligitory frames laid out shot:
View attachment 7066

and put together...
View attachment 7067

BTW, I actually figured out some construction details from the cover painting...
Chris

Attachments

• su85-1.jpg
    su85-1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 590
  • su85-2.jpg
    su85-2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 585
  • su85-3.jpg
    su85-3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 587

Clashster

Attachments

• su85-4.jpg
    su85-4.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 585
  • su85-5.jpg
    su85-5.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 583
  • su85-6.jpg
    su85-6.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 576
  • su85-7.jpg
    su85-7.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 562
  • su85-8.jpg
    su85-8.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 567

Clashster

Attachments

• su85-10.jpg
    su85-10.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 530
  • su85-9.jpg
    su85-9.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 525
  • su85-11.jpg
    su85-11.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 522
  • su85-12.jpg
    su85-12.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 507
  • su85-13.jpg
    su85-13.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 508

charliec

Looks like a fairly simple model of the Su-85. I note there's no attempt to model
the Christie suspension.

The housings on the back of the hull are for the transmission - the T-34 design was rear drive. What you identified as the idler is the drive wheel. The track was driven by the guide plates on the track inserting into the slots between the drive bars.

This link http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/galleries/SP_guns/SU_100_bp.htm
is a bunch of drawings of the Su-100 (very simlar to the Su-85) - might help with some of the detail.

How is the fit so far? - there's been quite a lot of criticism of Answer plane models in this forum - are their
armour models the same?

Regards,

Charlie

Clashster

Whoops, my bad.... this seems to be a fairly simple model overall (a lot of cutting, but nothing too difficult) Thanks for the link - I'm not knowledgiable at all about armor, I just like the way it looks and models... Being my first armor model, I don't think I'll get too crazy...

charliec

Fishcarver said:
Looks good so far!

I need to study those road wheels for my next build!

Jim

The grey areas on the drive wheels should be cut out. Here's what the drive wheel looks like on a T-34 (the Su-85 is the same but I couldn't find an image of the drive wheel). I think the holes were intended to insure that mud didn't build up in the drive wheel stopping the guide plates engaging.

Regards,

Charlie

Attachments

• T-34_drive.jpg
    T-34_drive.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 507

GT5500

milenio3 said:
I'm not an armor guy, but this one seems to be a good intro. Looking forward for your thread.
I can highly recommend Nobi's cromwell as first armour model, although the instructions are a bit scarce it is quite easy to work out and is a good compromise between simplicity and detail. Sorry for the off topic there!

Clashster

Some more progress, but not too much. They tell me I have to go to work. :sad:

Here is a look from the side...

View attachment 7304

Working on the road wheels - this has taken a lot longer than I thought. And this is only one! Nine more to go!
View attachment 7306

View attachment 7307

Of course, needed something else to do besides wheels, so did a little work on the fiddley bits on the front:

View attachment 7305

So far this model has gone together well. No real fit issues that weren't self inflicted. The only thing that I think is a problem that wasn't me is the axles for the road wheels aren't long enough. Not a big issue, as I can roll a longer one and paint it (it won't be seen behind the wheel :grin: ). Other than that, I have enjoyed this and think it goes together well. Off to cut some more!:wink:

Chris

Attachments

• su85-14.jpg
    su85-14.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 242
  • su85-15.jpg
    su85-15.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 240
  • su85-16.jpg
    su85-16.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 240
  • su85-17.jpg
    su85-17.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 240

josve

Clashster said:
Well, Chris, someone has to carry the torch since Johnny has become a flyboy! :grin:

Well flyboy......I'm not sure if thats the right word for it :)
Right now I'm building the PAK,the Greif and the Beaufighter so I think that I cover some genres in modelbuilding at the time LOL

I have a lot of new projects coming up, and several of them have tracks!
And some have wings :)
I promise I stay clear of ships!!

And I have to say you are doing a great job on the SU Chris!!

Clashster

Made some progress... These road wheels are taking all my time! But these are some pics of the front end. Here I think is an issue with the kit. The fit does not seem to be right (the cut in the interior bulk head does not line up with the cut in the skin). Much of this could be my error, but in this somewhat difficult construction, there are no diagrams to follow. The only way I was able to figure it out was from the main drawing of the tank (which was not too helpful to see if I really got it right). I am not really happy with how it turned out, but I must move along!
Front view:
View attachment 7485

doesn't look too bad. Side view:
View attachment 7486

You can see the large gap at the top that concerned me. I could not get it to fit around the internal frames without serious bunching elsewhere.
Rear shot:
View attachment 7487

After a bunch of dry fitting, I figured that perhaps this was how it was supposed to go, and when you put the next part on top, it would somehow fit properly... That will be in the next post!:grin:
Still, I am enjoying this kit. It does require a lot of contemplating of the drawings, but it is helping improve my modeling skills! :roll:

Attachments

• su85-18.jpg
    su85-18.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 195
  • su85-19.jpg
    su85-19.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 191
  • su85-20.jpg
    su85-20.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 190

Clashster

Here are the pictures that kind of pull the front all together. Obviously, I made some kind of error, but overall it is not too bad! :grin:

Front view, doesn't look too bad:
View attachment 7488

Side view. You can see the problem of the paper bunching up on the bottom. I should have trimmed the round part so it didn't get stuck on the internal structure. If there had been better drawings of this, I may have realized it before it was glued...
View attachment 7489

Top view. Again, doesn't look too bad!
View attachment 7490

Well, I am off work today and it is cold for Florida, so perhaps I will get a lot done today!

Attachments

• su85-21.jpg
    su85-21.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 188
  • su85-22.jpg
    su85-22.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 191
  • su85-23.jpg
    su85-23.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 186

Fishcarver

Dry fit, Dry fit, Dry fit...

..I guess. Your technique is finer than mine, which is: bash it now, paint it later. Looking good overall, though!!

I can't wait until you get to the TRACKS!

Hang in there!
Jim

charliec

It looks to me as if the Answer design isn't good in this area. The Su-85 and Su-100 used a mantlet which was a roughly spherical section - the cover on the top of the mantlet was hinged - I think the idea was to stop rain running into the gun. (hope my image attach works..)

The white stripes on the hull were aircraft identification markings - they were only used at the end of WW2. Similar idea to the stars on the top of US and British tanks in Europe.

Regards,

Charlie

Attachments

• SU_85_mantlet.jpg
    SU_85_mantlet.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 190

Clashster

Thanks for the picture, Charlie! I think you are right - the kit is not too faithful to the original. Still, if they had some drawings of the construction, their interpretation of this area would have made the build go much smoother.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.