SU-101 Russian self-propelled gun 1:25

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrafalsk

Hi,

I made last wheels - idler wheels:

And two wheels, idler and track sprocket, together:

@Charliec: Thanks. My problem is that I can't made models like beta testers doing. Because I'm going to made this model only once so I'm trying to make it as best as I can.

@Cdavenport: I hope so. I'm going to start negotiations with publisher this week and I hope we'll make a deal soon. The model should be ready to publish someday in June. Thanks too.

Regards,
Michal

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
So far this is beyond the usual for some publishers.

Thanks for sharing these pictures. It's great to see not just the build but the design and how some people go about creating certain details.

J

Jim Nunn

Michal

I’m at a loss for words your design is outstanding and your skill in building the model is better then the design.

Jim Nunn

mrafalsk

Hello,
I would like to show you how I made gun armor protection (still and movable). In my opinion these elements are most complicated parts of this model. I made them from a few tight straps.
I started from still part of the gun armor protection. First I formed them into special shape and glue them together. Next I made needed framework and put it into made already surface. I covered the surface several times using glue and sanded it. On the end I glue it to base and I added a few small parts.

After that I started to make movable part of the gun armor protection. I used very similar method as before to make it. But this time the framework I used only to be sure that the surface got right shape. When the surface was ready I added 1mm pieces of paper from back side to simulate thickness of this part. Last step was adding a few small parts to the movable part of the protection element.

And here is gun armor protection (still and movable) ready:

Sorry for so many pictures.

Michal

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Great job on the mantlet. May I suggest using sanding sealer rather than glue - this makes the surface much easier to sand to a smooth surface.

(I'd better explain in case the product doesn't translate to other countries. To get a very fine finish surface in woodwork a sealer is used after the initial sanding. This is called sanding sealer in Australia and the US. It fills the porosity of the wood and makes it very easy to sand to a very smooth surface. On card sanding sealer works well - there isn't any tearing of the surface when you sand.)

The downside of sanding sealer is that the solvent is quite nasty so you can't paint it on without good ventilation. It takes a while to dry as well.

Regards,

Charlie

mrafalsk

Hi,
I made next elements of the tank. First I made a container from back plate of the vehicle. I'm not sure what is role of it but I assume it is smoke generator. The tank mount is a little bit complicated and soft. I used super glue to harden it.

Next elements are external fuel tanks. Details are shown on following pictures:

Michal

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
I think it's an external tank for engine oil. The V2 engine had fairly high oil consumption - it makes sense to carry oil for the engine as well as fuel in the external tanks. The IS-3 had an external oil tank on the back of the engine deck - this tank looks similar in size.

Regards,

Charlie

mrafalsk

Hello,
Today I'll show you machine gun, one of the last elements of the vehicle. It took me three evenings to make the gun because of many small elements. Only three, because I used ready made barrel for the gun instead make it from paper.

Here are all machine gun's elements connected together:

And current status of the vehicle.

To the end still main front light and tracks are missing.

@charliec: Most probably you are right.
Michal

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
Looks great. On par or better than the rest of your work which is already amazing.

This is an amazing kit.

mrafalsk

Hello,
Just after finishing the last element of the vehicle, headlight, I started to paint it. Whole model first I painted in black. Now, I can see all inaccuracies as well as the gun armor protection's surface and all other details.

Next, I'll paint my SU-101 on green (Russian Armor Green from Model Master).
Michal

Romanator

Apr 4, 2008
Berkeley CA
:eek: Stunning model. I'll be sure to pick one up once I become good at this hobby:eek:ops: Did you use sand to create the rough cast surfaces on the gun's armor?

whatsyamac

Apr 18, 2008
wow! great talent you have there. i wish i have that talent so i can build my own model of the same superb quality... museum pieces!

Status
Not open for further replies.