SU-101 Russian self-propelled gun 1:25

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrafalsk

Hello,
Today I want to start showing you my last project. It is a model of Russian self-propelled gun SU-101.

If you like to know history of SU-101 vehicle please read the article from here http://www.battlefield.ru/content/view/59/50/lang,en.

I made this model in 1:25 scale based on drawings and pictures from “Modelist Konstructor” 2/2001 Russian magazine and from http://www.battlefield.ru web page.

Please find here some pictures of this vehicle what I made during designed phase.

More pictures you can find here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/mrafalsk/SU-101.

Next I’ll start showing how I’m building SU-101 model from paper.
Regards,
Michal

mrafalsk

Hello,

I'll start showing you today how I’m building SU-101 vehicle model. As usually I started from vehicle body. And also as usually there is nothing special to described just framework and side plates. The model will be painted on the end so don’t worry about current color (light yellow or white).

Regards,
Michal

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
Great work. Like the rest of your projects, I will assume this will be elaborate as well.

mrafalsk

Hello,

When I finalized body of the vehicle I started making fenders. I added some small elements to the fenders like: fender support brackets, front fender's wickets and right exhaust pipe.

And now general shape of the vehicle is visible. The next step will be suspension.

@Mousemuffins1 – Thanks. This chassis was introduced in T-44 tank and improved in next versions of Russian tanks (T-54/55, T-62). Body, suspension, engine and other aggregates of this vehicle are taken from T-44 tank.
@Stev0 – Thanks.

Michal

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Interesting vehicle....

I think the engine and transmission would have been from a T-34 since the T-44 used a transverse engine layout.

Any plans to model the SU-102? - it's fairly similar except for the 122mm gun and slightly different mantlet.

Regards,

Charlie

mrafalsk

Charlie,
Yes, it is. This is why I choose this one to build.

Based on info from http://www.battlefield.ru/content/view/59/50/lang,en/ :
"The V-2-44 engine was located lengthways, in the front and to the right of the hull. The driver was situated on the left side. The transmission system was borrowed from the T-34 tank, though a few changes were introduced. The torsion bar suspension was adopted from the T-44 tank. The drive sprocket was used from the T-34 tank."
I'm not expert but according to my information T-34 used V-2-34 engine.

I was thinking to made also SU-102 especially, as you mentioned, only gun and mantlet are different but first I have to finish this one in next few weeks. Maybe if I'll find publisher who can publish it I'll add an option to choose which one can be made. Lets see.

Regards,
Michal

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Looks like it was a T-44 engine although there wasn't a lot difference
between the T-44 and T-34 engine. Even the T-72 engine is a modernised V-2.

It would be interesting to know what the engine and transmission layout was in the SU-101. The gun compartment would have been very cramped with the transmission running across the hull at the rear. It seems to me the designers were one logical step away from putting the T-44 engine/transmission in the front like the Merkava.

I wonder if Michael Krol at Gremir would be interested in your SU-101 - at least his models don't get pirated (as far as I'm aware).

Regards,

Charlie

mrafalsk

Hello,

Today I show you how I did suspension of this vehicle. First I did rear idler wheel mount elements:

Next parts what I did were road wheel’s swingarms and other mount elements:

The transmission housing from my project and in my model:

And finally all of these mounted to vehicle’s body.

The swingarms and idler wheel mount elements are not on final position. They are waiting for wheels and tracks.

@charliec: You are absolutely right with the engine. Designing SU-101 Russian engineers tried several different vehicle configurations and finally selected this one. Problem what they got was space inside the body. There was no space :)

Michal

mrafalsk

Hello,

It's time for small update. First of all rear hatch and step.

Next pictures show vehicle body with all elements what I made so far and with a few additional small parts like handles, nuts and net other air intake.

I made and placed on top of turret two turret hatches.

And finally two small elements, towing hook and saw.

Michal

mrafalsk

Hi,

Thanks for warm words.

Today's heroes are road wheels. SU-101 vehicle has 10 of them. Before I glue them together I used a sandpaper to sand each and every part of the wheels. The final touches was to add some nuts and bolts to the wheels. Centre locking discs (I'm not sure if this is right term) I'll add later on.

Michal

mrafalsk

Hello,

I'm going to show you today a few picture with driver's cupola. It is one of most difficult elements of this project because of its shape. As you can see below the surface of the cupola is bended in almost all directions and it took some time to make it.

Finally the driver's cupola with hatch and periscope:

Michal

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
I thought the wheels were great but you've taken this build to another level. The cupola just amazing. If that's the beta build I can't imagine how good the production version's going to be.

Regards,

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.