Stupid Question

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
When you have a track that doesn't loop back on itself, a track that terminates at one end, you have to terminate the electrical signal in order to have a strong electrical current down that track correct?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hello Justind, welcome to the gauge,
If your track is just end to end, then there is no need to terminate any current at all. I don't know your track configuration and would really like to see the plan, so I could give you a better response.

shamus
waver.gif

NARA Member #24
http://www.badger-creek.co.uk

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
Unfortunatly I don't have a layout yet, nor will I for quite some time (full time student, single bedroom apt., etc.). I have a track plan that I like and have been modifying (I actually stole the plan from someone else...it is the Inyo and White Mountain RR...I'm not sure where I located it, but I like it, and enjoy tinkering w/the plan).
My question above was a general question for any peice of track that doesn't connect to the mainline on it's end, such as an industry siding. At the end of the line on some track plans I have seen an "X" drawn on the end of the track like some kind of terminal ending or something. Other symbols are simply a - at the end of the track. Both symbols led me to belive that after laying down this piece of siding track, and placing the earth or bumper at the end, that there was also a little electrical work to be done on that bare end of track...that is what I was asking, I hope this makes more sense.

------------------
~Justin~

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
JUSTIND, The "x" you refer to is probably just to indicate end of track. There are no electrical considerations involved with a stub ended track. Typically it receives its power thru the turnout leading into it. As you will see in other threads on this forum there are options available in which type of turnout you use, some will allow you to store a loco on the stub track and "kill" it by throwing the points of the turnout for the other route. In this case you need no gaps or feeders.

Gary

Hello Justind:

You're talking about electronics and electricity. That's my favorit subject!
tongue.gif
Shamus is right. You don't need any terminators. Current and voltage only flows in a conductive path. If you have no load, ie loco or light. There is no voltage drop or current loss. I hope I didn't confuse you. Welcome to the Gauge.

Andy

www.geocities.com/droid144/index.html