Stunning PrototypeTrackwork

train1

About a week ago, the crews were working after dark every night laying new track on the double main at the end of my backyard.
This is a relatively high(er) speed mainline on the CN Toronto to Windsor Corridor.
They redid both the North and South track and I thought I'd post a fine example of their work.
Perhaps they should work during the day instead.
DSCN2022.JPG

DSCN2024.JPG

Does anyone have other examples to share ?

(Note to self) Do not invite this crew to help lay track on next layout !

Mountain Man

Funny - that's how ties and spikes look when they have been prepared for replacement work, rather than after it is completed.

Are you sure this is completed and inspected work?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I have to agree with Mtn Man - that does not look like completed work to me...! That top photo looks like the tie cutter may have made a pass, but then again, those spikes and the rail itself looks relatively new... :confused:

And if they have replaced the rail. but not the ties, it reminds me of the "not my job" photo from a few years back: http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=not my job&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

However if it is new, note to self: do not to ride VIA in the corridor! And do not have these guys over for a layout work session! :eek:

Andrew

Torpedo

That looks like temporary work to me.

The ties are in rotten shape, and the tie plates probably aren't gauging the track properly, or there is a danger that they couldn't maintain gauge in the event of unusual forces occuring. As a temporary measure, new spikes have been driven proud in order to maintain gauge directly, instead of acting through the tie plates.

Hopefully, the track gang will reappear soon to replace all the bad track components.