Stuka 2

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cjwalas, Feb 1, 2007.

1. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Well, after carelessly reviewing all the 1:33 (and the 1/24th) scale Stuka kits, I've made my decision;
    View attachment 6851
    It's the GPM #70 JU-87 G , the tank buster version of the D model. I was tempted by the Maly model, but this one seemed to be very similar in construction to the other one I just finished (they are both GPM models) and should be a less stressful build!:-D
    Of course, I didn't like the color green they chose. It seems to me that most of the paper model makers use too medium a green on their Stukas, so I scanned the model and did a rather simplistic color shift on it. I really should learn to use Photoshop!
    View attachment 6852
    Unfortunately, none of the colors in this photo are correct, but you can see where I took the vibrant green from the original (right side) and turned it a little more brownish green (left side). It's not as brown as the photo shows it. Of course everything else shifted color as well so the lemon yellow is a richer amber now (which I like) but the cockpit gray turned a purple-mauve color (disgusting, but I'll live with it). I also relined the panel lines and added a couple of colors to the drab cockpit. I'm hoping to start this one for real on the weekend......I hope.

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Chris you could always cut and paste the original colors onto the color shifted parts in one of the photo editor programs. I do this all the time with old kits, some scanned parts look good but others need shifting so I make 2 copies, color adjust them then cut in the parts that I don't want shifted.
  3. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I hear what you're saying! That's exactly the reason I need to learn how to use some kind of program like that!
  4. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Well, it's been a depressing day.:-( While my learnin' Stuka went relatively smoothly, this one is exactly the opposite. The paper gremlins are having a field day with me! Almost every single step has gone poorly , almost entirely do to my own haste and stupidity. :( it seemed the harder I tried to get it right, the more problems I encountered. Too many to even mention, but it was distressing to see that some of the colors didn't match, that I had used to thick a cardboard for the reinforced pieces and that no matter what I tried, it seemed I couldn't match up two pieces to save my life. It'll still get finished and it should still vaguely resemble a JU-87 D, but I was hoping to be getting better at this, not worse! All right, enough griping. Picture time;
    Here's the nose; it's crooked (the very first assembly!:cry: )
    View attachment 6941

The bulkhead joints are all off.
    View attachment 6942

The wings went okay, except the frame sits too low and there's a gap on the bottom. You can hardly tell the left wing was reglued three times.
    View attachment 6943

The blue is the most noticable color mismatch. Notice the gap at the fuselage.
    View attachment 6944

I wasn't looking and miscounted the exhausts. I made extras I didn't need!
    View attachment 6945

I'm hoping the rest of the details will distract from my boo-boos, past and future! I'm not giving up on this one, but I'm disappointed that I' m off with such a bad start.

Attached Files:

• s2a.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
    • s2b.jpg
      File size:
      43 KB
    • s2c.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
    • s2d.jpg
      File size:
      21.1 KB
    • s2e.jpg
      File size:
      22.5 KB
  5. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Just to prove that I haven't given up totally on this one;
    View attachment 7042

View attachment 7043
    Flaps, wheels, and nose are on. I've decided in my little brain that this one is really "learnin' Stuka 2"!:wink: Wheel pants came out about the same as the first Stuka, so no complaint there. Flaps are a little better, actually. :grin: Tail wheel is definitely better, so maybe there is some hope for me yet!:grin:
    Canon, flap details, props, are all underway. Can't wait to get this one behind me! Maybe my next model will be something completely different for a break!
    Love that purple cockpit! :twisted:
    PS. Carl, thanks. Your support really does make a difference.

Attached Files:

• s2f.jpg
      File size:
      105.9 KB
    • s2g.jpg
      File size:
      32.8 KB
  6. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Well, I may not be a very good paper modeller, but I'm not a quitter!:grin: After much sloppy gluing and cursing, I finished this one up. It's pretty wonky in a couple of areas, but doesn't look too bad from others. I'm totally bewildered by the cannon mounts, as they don't mount in line with the fuselage as they should. Maybe the whole wing is wrong!? :twisted: I'll have to remount them and fix that.
    View attachment 7259

View attachment 7260

The canopy turned out alright, but with glue blobs everywhere. CA cementing the canopy frames before gluing the clear sheets made it a lot easier. Much less wrinkled acetate than my previous Stuka.

View attachment 7261

A little off, but not too crooked....
    View attachment 7262

I think I need to do a couple of non-Stuka models before I try the next one or it'll drive me away from paper models!:-D

View attachment 7263

All in all, a frustrating but enlightening experience! Sure feels good to get this one done!

Attached Files:

• s2h.jpg
      File size:
      37.1 KB
    • s2i.jpg
      File size:
      35 KB
    • s2j.jpg
      File size:
      35.5 KB
    • s2k.jpg
      File size:
      55.5 KB
    • s2l.jpg
      File size:
      45.3 KB
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I think it looks pretty good. The real Stukas didn't look that good!
  8. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

I agree with Zasthros: Your build looks good. Do not be too hard on yourself!

Let every model that you build teach you lessons, and move on!!

Your Canadian friend

9. Don't want to be boring, But I totally agree with the other guys.. Nice looking Stuka, specialy those canons..
    And those hand-drawn models often have those little fitting problems..
    Cheers, Billy
  10. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Thanks, guys. I'm not crying for sympathy on this one; there are some glaringly bad points to it. The left wing tip is severely cranked, tweaked, twisted (not sure what the technical term is here). And notice there are NO shots of the underside!:lol: :razz: Careful photo work! :grin:
    I'm glad to hear that there can be problems with some of the hand drawn kits. It seemed I was being more careful than usual with the matching and yet stuff wasn't quite lining up! Someday I'll look back on this model and laugh.
    Onward and upward!
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I think it looks good too!

One thing on the tank gun wing mounts............ I believe they are not supposed to be aligned straight (parallel) with the wings............ they are supposed to converge at some point in order for both to be effective on tanks............... so they should be toed in some.

I might be wrong on this.......................

12. David H

David H Member

As a climber on the steep slopes of Mt Learning Curve I want to add a "Looks OK to me" you should look at my Hurricane!

13. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Interesting point. I just checked four different sets of plans and none show any visible sign of convergence on the gun angle. I can't see any on any of the photos, either, so if there is an angle it's so minimal as to not be far as I can see.
  14. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I just looked at a plastic Stuka from a friend, and I can tell there is no much of difference between the two. Of course I liked more yours, paper modeling have a special artistic sense, but that's me.
    Thanks for a great Stuka.
  15. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

There probably was an adjustment for the guns on the G-1 and G-2 Stukas. To that end, I would think convergence would be the choice of the pilot. Some might prefer the guns be set to converge somewhat close to each other at a certain distance, some would want it further or closer.

I'm not sure, but the distance between the two guns looks rather wide for tank busting without convergence. Even a broadside attack could end up in front of and behind the target on some of the armor. Head-on...well...

But I think at the scale of most models, the convergence wouldn't be too noticeable.