Studio Scale X-Wing

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by OylPslyk, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

oh-no! i hope this doesnt set you back too far! if you need help on test build ill definately make myself available!!
  2. imcold

imcold Member

Extraordinary work, you really put a lot of attention to accuracy of the surface details. Keep it up!
  3. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

dont worry fellas, i didnt loose that much! :cool:

as a rule (thanks to a couple MEGA disasters with data loss way back in the day) every time i open a file i save it to a new copy before i begin working. this also helps to document my progress on my projects, and also to go back and grab data when i "just screw things up too bad and dont want to hit ctl-Z for an hour or so" sign1

btw Steve, i use 2008. acad crashed WHILE it was saving, and it screwed up the .bak file as well. for some reason i couldnt find the .$vs file for it

this thing is getting rather large and detailed, and autocad doesnt so much like lots of surfaces to render in 3d, so its broken up into several files anyway: hull, wings, engines, butt, r2strip, R2, cockpit, etc...

all i lost the other day was that days changes on the fuselage, but they've been replicated already!

also i will be in need of a tester or two, so thanks for the offers. i plan to start unfolding parts in the next couple weeks, ive set a deadline for myself to have beta kits ready by march 1st...... the first portion to be finished will probably be the engine, then the wings shortly thereafter.
  4. 57townsman

57townsman Member

WOW! :eek:

That has got to be some of the best and most accurate work I've EVER seen on an X-wing!! After this and a brief rest period, perhaps you'd like to tackle the Y-wing in 1/24 scale? :mrgreen:

Just yanking your chain....sort of.:mrgreen:

5. tazman3

tazman3 Model Designer Wannabe

*waves hand like a Jedi* You will do a Y-wing next...

6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yeah Oyl, that's a good way of doing things. The office I was in had the most ridiculous way of saving files. They would have the project folder and in the folder they would have ONE autocad file called 'USE THIS.DWG'... I was floored. When I said I was going to do work I made changes right away. All files were JOBNUMBER_YEARMONTHDAY.DWG so that if anything went wrong, you would only lose a days work.

ps. 2008 is my favorite. There were some commands that I started using that cut production time substantially. :thumb:
  7. OylPslyk

i would be lost on anyone elses copy of autocad! i completely murder the autolisp file... every command there is i have mapped to 1-3 keys under the left fingers, one to three taps and thats it. never have to hunt and peck or use a drop-down menu. but i'm just obsessive that way sign1

anyway - i finished refining the fuselage

thats about all the new progress i have though.

and as for whats next?
    i had actually been thinking about either a y-wing or a snowspeeder, but i may be diving into something sompletely insane instead. i'm working up some parts for 3d printing to help someone finish off their 5' ss falcon model. it may just tempt me into finally taking the plunge into modeling it myself?!?! but we'll see, i dont know yet
  8. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Ooo, no wonder that psychiatrist is chasing you!:rolleyes:

Have you seen this thread over at

Its currently at 48 pages! Rabe has scratchbuilt his Falcon without the aid of CAD and its now over 7000 pieces. :eek:

PS A Blockade runner/Tantive IV or Republic Cruiser would be good at a large scale too.:cool:
  9. OylPslyk

that falcon is amazing isnt it? and his is just the 32" falcon.

i was thinking of modeling the 5-footer, but would never dream of trying to work it out in paper! you're right I WOULD end up in a rubber room!
  10. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Its a testament to dedication and hard work. A good magnifier and a favorite beverage help too. :mrgreen:

11. sneaker

sneaker Member

Just an inquisitive bump. Anything new on this? :wave:
  12. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yeah ... Red Five floating by .... (no Xwing present)

I want to see more pretty pictures. :p
  13. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

It's looking great. The pictures look quite good 'full size' on my 52" monitor.
  14. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Member

Very nice attention to detail OylPslyk, can't wait to see this one finished. :thumb:
  15. OylPslyk

hey guys, sorry for the delay: but didn't get much done while i was on the road (been almost from one end of the country to the other over the last month.) but ive finally been back at home and working on it steadily this past week!

about all i managed to get done over the last month was work out the general design of the cockpit area, as a result the upper fuselage got overhauled too........ but anyway sign1

the cockpit and the landing gear are about the only places im going to be straying from the SS version, my cockpit is a mish-mash of all 3 versions seen on screen, the aft compartment from RoTJ (its the most greebled, and doesnt have all the hoses used to "fill up space"). the forward section is for the most part the same in the 1st 2 films, but the details are a lil different. I'm some of the greebles and stuff from ESB, and the main display panels from ANH.

I also have a little more parted out for the final model, but im still going to hang on to that until all the design work is done.

ill post some more updates soon with some new pics :)

edit: btw, if anyone happens to know where i can find some good pics of the full scale cocpit set plz let me know... they're not easy to come by!
    especially the forward portion looking out through the canopy
  16. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

great to hear from ya! i eagerly await every update!
  17. OylPslyk

hey there!

just wanted to let you guys know i'll be posting another big update in the next couple days. its been taking much longer lately now that i've for the most part splintered it into 6 different models (to represent Red 1-6) although because of lack of good reference i may end up just combining #s 4&6 into one pyro-type version. even though except for the stripes on the wings, most of the differences between each will most likely go unnoticed by most, its still just something i want to do... :( wall1

Buuuut just so you cant say i'm a complete tease this time... :mrgreen:
    here's a peek at the finished cockpit workup

18. Romanator

Romanator Member

This is just too good to be true! :eek: even the hydraulic actuators are there. Very nice work, I must say, and given this quality, I don't think that folks will be bothered that there aren't all six types represented.

Great work again OylPsylk, don't worry if it takes too long. We will be patient, the reward is great!:thumb:
  19. Erindale

Erindale Member

Don't know if these will help but check out these links:

The first link is for a cross-sectional X-wing that can be disassembled as a reference. It's a two-part review and the second page has a serious image gallery including cockpit reference photos.

Second link is for a gallery of a yet-to-be released replica model X-wing ($1,199 price tag -- yikes!). Much better reference photos in this gallery.

Your design is amazing. I've been following with interest and hope these images help with your project.