Studio Scale X-Wing

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by OylPslyk, Feb 7, 2008.

1. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

hoooray he is back

John John
  2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i am very glad to see you back on this!!
  3. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Yessir, it's good to hear from you and to see you are still pushing on.
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Good to see this is being worked on ... can't wait to see some card being glued together.

5. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

well, i kinda blew my own mind today... sign1

Today I began assembling some of the parts together, and then a few minutes ago I pulled up the old version and scaled it down to see just how things looked. i was SHOCKED at how awful it looked compared to the new corrected version. :cry::curse:

anywho, here's what i'm talking about. i was going to go through and mark them up to show which one is old or new versions, buuut it's pretty dam obvious which is which (lol!)

6. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Looking fantastic so far!! :eek: I'm looking forward to an accurate X-wing in ANY scale! Going back several posts, you were thinking about how to articulate the wings. I found these pics on my HD, they are from which is defunct now.(You can still find it with the Wayback machine) Zabel was working on his own studio scale X but he stopped updating his page so I don't know if he ever finished it. These show his wing pivot mechanism if you are interested. He had also released beta samples of his nose cone.

Keep up the great effort!

Attached Files:

7. OylPslyk

8. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Glad to be of assistance no matter how small :mrgreen: I'm a member over at the RPF forum too, amazing stuff they do there! :eek: And the time they spend hunting down the original kit parts is staggering.

9. sneaker

sneaker Member

I remember this. He actually had more available than the nose cone, if you dug around a bit. He had a lot of parts mapped out. Very detail oriented. By the way, OylPslyk this look great and am looking forward to it.
  10. OylPslyk

nearly finished at last!

only about a half dozen or so parts to finish out, i'm still trying to id what kits they came from, but if i cant find them in another week i'm just gonna fudge them!

i still havnt made a start on the cockpit innerds yet either :cry: but hopefully that wont be too much trouble.

other than that all that is left is adding a few more details like scribing and chips...

I was hoping to completely texture the thing in the 3d model itself, but i'm having trouble with this. autocad just wasnt designed for that. once i have a simplified parted out version i'll try to find someone to help with the texturing??? i'm still going to try and photoshop in a paintjob onto the parts the way i used to, but with much more detaill, all my coloring in the past for cardmodels was simply "painted" on by simply coloring the parts in the cad itself.

finished version will have a litany of download options:

1) paintjobs for all the different versions, Red 1-6. or if you want to have a bit of fun with it i'm even going to include a set of wings with the original painted/scripted "Blue" markings

2) most of the most obvious known part differences between the studio models. like the shorter turkey feathers, or even different wing parts depending on hero/pyro model etc.

3) 2 different build options, gear up or down. the gear down version will have a much simpler build for the wings. basically just 2 wings instead of 4, since all the innards wont be needed
    i'm still working on a movable wing version... we'll see how that goes.

4) for the 1:24 version i may just use a "bust" for the R2, each of the paintschemes will come with their own matched R2 unit.
  11. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i am soooooo psyched to build this! just fantastic looking! this might just be the kit to pull me back into sci-fi!
  12. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Can you post pics of the unidentified parts? Maybe we can help identify them.

13. OylPslyk

these are about all that are left

14. OylPslyk

I got a good poke in the right direction towards these last nite! had them in my library all along, just never noticed them in the right context before!!! sign1sign1sign1

sometimes it just takes someone saying "hey dummy! its right under your nose!!!"

i also fixed another error this morning, remember the vintage toy version? the one with the "laserbeam" light in the nose, and where you mashed down R2's head to open the wings?

on that toy the cannons were removable and mouned on the lil 3-prong thingy, so ever since i was a kid running around the house with that and my tie-fighter for hours on end, I've always drawn and modeled them on that thing.
    but I only just yesterday came to pay attention to all the photos and realize they sit on the little boxy thing on top of the sherman hull...

it just goes to show that something can be right under your nose for years on end - but you'll still see "what you want to see" (or not) as these cases in point show!
  15. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Man, is that looking GREAT! Good to hear of your new progress. Thanks again for starting this design!

Best Regards,
  16. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Autocad can only place textures onto the surface of an object.

Unless they stole some tools from viz to make it easier, I don't think there has been a change in this method since Acad2000.
  17. OylPslyk

woohoo! even closer to closing the book on the design-phase!

got a lot of the scribing done yesterday, and thanks to a monster bout of insomnia (probably caffine related sign1) i got the landing gear worked up last nite!

18. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

She looks sweet OP! If Nothing doesn't nominate himself for beta builder then I'll nominate him. Don't stop now - the finish line is almost in sight. Mush!:whip1:
  19. OylPslyk

worked out a lot of the "guts yesterday, most of which will be used in framing the cardmodel. i also began refining the hull shape further.
    then autocad decided to throw a tantrum :curse:wall1. it decided to crash on me as i was saving my progress.
    all the interior stuff was a different file, and is fine. but all the work i put into the hull and nosecone was completely corrupted, it even corrupted the .bak file as it was updating with the save... so most of yesterdays progress is lost. :cry:
  20. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

what about the $** file? Did you try renaming that to .dwg? I know with 2004-2008 it recovers the file.