Studio Scale X-Wing

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by OylPslyk, Feb 7, 2008.

1. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

thats cool, can't wait to see this one built!:thumb: keep up the great work!
  2. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Lines optional

In Pepakura 2 it's very easy to get rid of the fold lines, or to change the color of them so that they blend in nicely.

3. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

lol i've got balsa wood ready for this model:p looks like i'll nedd it for the internal structure and stuff like that:D can't wait to see what progress has been made to this model!
  4. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

yea I'm still goin with the 145cm beast. actually i've been savin cereal boxes myself to build the frame out of.

i dont really have anything to show just yet though, ive almost finished detailing the engines inside and out. when that's done i'll post more pics! things have just slowed down a lot since i've gone back to work :(

till then!
  5. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

I didn't want this one to disappear into the abyss. Just wanted to show my support for this one, as I think an X-Wing hanging from my games room would look fantastic. Wish I could help, but I am more a builder than a designer. Sorry to those that thought this might have been a progress post.
  6. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Trash the cereal boxes!

Oylpslyk, don't waste your time with cereal boxes. Order a sheet of LetraMax 2000 mechanical board from It comes in a large sheet, 26 x 30, if I recall correctly, for around $7 plus shipping. Check with an art store; they will have it or a similar product.

This product is 1mm thick and dimensionally stable. It won't warp or delaminate unless you make it do so. I made the hull plate section for the display base for my Hunley project from the stuff. You won't regret it!
  7. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Member

This will be impressive when completed :)
  8. OylPslyk

as promised i have a little to show on this bad boy now, (some 6 months or so after the last update :cry:) but while i was gone i got a little more detail done on the engines, and the basic fuselage blocked in.

The main thing i worked on over this time was the R2 part, and since you know how over-zelous i can be about such things :mrgreen: I have been modeling him in full-scale, with the exception of texturing, and the lil parts on most of the body-panels he's finished tho! He is worked up here to match what's seen in the original movie. here's a lil overview

i hope to get this thing finished as quick as i can, then get back into the Batwing! i havnt had time to even open that file since the last time its thead was updated :eek:!!
  9. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Good to see you back and in one piece, even better to see you still going on this one... I've been too busy for models these last few weeks (new baby) but I hope to get back into it soon and this one is still very high on my list of must haves. :D

Once again, welcome back. :thumb:
  10. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

ditto!! im really glad you are still working it!
  11. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

Just found this thread for the first time, and I'm really excited about this, keep up the awesome work.
  12. clif52

clif52 Banned

Great to see you back at work on the X-Wing, I'm still hoping for the Batwing. That one really looks COOL!
  13. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

Good to see you again active Oyl!!!

Psyched about all you current projects, so I hope for lot's of updates :D
    (Don't we all?)
  14. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

Yeah! Fantastic to see you back, and glad to see you still keen on this one. Looking forward to seeing more.
  15. OylPslyk

hey, just a heads up. progress still slow, but its gettin there! started some more parting, of the little time i get to work on this it seems half of it is spent trying to "catch up" to where i was each time i leave off :(

if all goes to plan, i should have a completed beta available by end of january, this will probably not have all the little greeble parts included tho, which i will continue to add as i go.

what ive been working on lately is finding a good design for the wing mechanism, i have 3 different versions of the core/support layout, still testing which one will work the best and hold up without any wear-and-tear as it's moved from one position to the next... i was playing with the idea of some sort of controll mechanism hidden within the hull's greebles to automatically open and close them, but gave up on this idea - after all its not like its a toy to be played with sign1

anyway, till next time!
  16. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

17. Romanator

Romanator Member

Maybe a set of gears (like in a toy f-14 model) mounted vertically will do the trick? The wings could stay in place with a locking pin of some sort so the top wing sort of rests on the bottom wing? Its just an idea, but it probably wont hold up in 4 ft model.

Great work so far!:thumb:
  18. OylPslyk

lol, great minds.........

actually i built about a dozen f-14 plastic kits as a kid, went up to the attic and fished them all out, performed a lil surgery on a few to check out the works, but kept coming back to the thought that "it doesnt have to be that complicated.

the thing is going to be large enough, and strong enough that scratch fitting your own gearworks, and/or lighting etc. will be a simple task if thats the way you want to go.
  19. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'd rather see the kit built than to have the final model myself.

1) No room to build anything.
    2) No time to build anything.
    3) Great to see someone's hard work.
  20. OylPslyk

finally time to show some more pics!

one of the biggest problems i had been having with this thing is trying to work out the tiny detail parts. soooo i decided to tackle it from a different direction.

i began working on it like a scratchbuild, instead of just trying to model what i could see on all my reference images of the model itself, i began modeling all the greebles from the original 1:24 scale x-wings, using kit scans of the acual donor kits. once i started in on this things sped up A LOT!!! sign1

i also have been able to correct my shapes on things like the wings and fuselage a great deal too, now that i actually have corrected shapes and sizes on many of the tiny parts!

i have finished about 85-90% of these parts, so it wont be much longer now till the whole thing is done!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!! FINALLY!!!

anywho - here's a peek

these are all modeled at 1:1 so they are actually the parts for the 1:24 scale x-wings, and some of the detail is veeeery tiny. even once scaled up for the big bird much of it will need to be re-evaluated in order to make workable parts for papercraft, and other areas will need still more detail to match the big model. buuuut i'll just cross that bridge when i get there sign1

i've also finally decided on a texturing pattern, its going to be worked up after red-5 while luke is on dagobah in ESB, im adding in all the extra parts from the full-scale mock up too: cockpit, floodlights, landing gear, compartments...

and a lil look at how some of them come together, here are most of the parts for the R2-strip

also: thanks for the continued interest and patience on this one. this is now about a year behind schedule... (like so many of my projects :cry: )
    hopefully more updates will be posted in the following week or two. i want to hurry up and wrap this thing up! :cool:

edit: before you all begin to ask :mrgreen:, since i already have so much worked up now in the 1:24 scale im sure i will be doing a smaller version at this size too. there's been a lot of interest in this big bird, but nearly all of the feedback has included phrases like "but i just dont have anywhere to put something that big" sign1 - at the studio 1:24 scale its about 18-20" or so