Studio Scale X-Wing

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by OylPslyk, Feb 7, 2008.

1. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

well, I've shown off a few peeks at this, and its gone through many evolutions already.

but since there's been much interest, (and not so few subtle hints :mrgreen:)
    I figured its about time I start up a thread of its own!

Ok, first of all, this is based on the un-filmed 145cm studio model. its really a shame they didnt get to use it - it really is a beautifull craft!

just remember this is a 4'-9" model!!!!!!!!!!! its probably gonna take an entire ream of cardstock:eek::eek::eek:
    for example, here is some of the parts, the front end of the blaster - the blue rectangles on the right represent a single sheed of 8.5x11 paper...[​IMG]

I have the rest done in 2d, but I'll save it for once its worked up in the new 3d. i'm going to finish off detailing and parting the wings and blaster here before I move on to the rest though. the engine's will probably be next - unless I do the cockpit instead, I havent decided yet.

just dont expect hurried updates on this one though:cry: i'm trying to focus on the batwing, and just working on this when I'm frustrated with that one!:mrgreen:
  2. OylPslyk

I also made some high-contrast pics too, its sometimes hard to see whats going on in the vanilla ones

3. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Its heartbreaking the amount of talent on this board

Well done...really amazing work

John John
  4. JustForFun

JustForFun Member

Wow!!! That looks great. Do you plan on making it scaleable? I don't know where I would put something that big:p
  5. OylPslyk

I have thought about a 3' version, it is rather huge!!!
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You guys do know about the concept of printer page size limits?

7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Tell me who has been pestering you with these "not so subtle hints" and I will sort them out for you right now!! :p

Nice to see some progress on this, I can stop pestering you now and move on to buying out my local paper company and building a spare room on the back of the house to build this puppy. :D
  8. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

BIG SW fan here. Looking for a great new project! I think this would fit the bill just dandy! I hope you release to all ... I will follow closely.
  9. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

Can't wait to see this when it's finished. It'll go well with the giant Roger Young model.
  10. OylPslyk

Hey, i've been going thru my files as I get back into the flow, and just realized i do have some old stuff on this one i didnt post earlier. I finished out the wing (most of it anyway). Ive made a good start on the cockpit interior too, but there's nothin really to show on it yet

I'm still workin on the engines, but other than them I believe the wing's about done.

I couldnt resist adding the screws too... sign1
  11. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

So cool. I sure cannot wait for this build!!
  12. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

Wow!:-O this is truely a remarkable design of the x wing. Keep up the good work sir. will this one have a R2 D2 port?lol great work can't wait for this build!!!:D:D
  13. OylPslyk

hey guys, I figured its about time you get to see a lil more of a "put together" set of pics :)

i've been back at work now, but had some payin gigs come in - so they had to come first..... progress has been made though-FINALLY :mrgreen:

oh and to answer Littlemodeler, yes it'll have an R2 unit, and at this scale he will be a full 13.5 cm tall !!!
  14. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Holy smokes, I sure hope this will be a release for all! Huge SW fan here.
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

lookin great!
  16. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

That is awesome!!! lol i'm sure gunna start stacking up a bit of card stock and some blades for this puppy lol!:p Great work!!!:D
  17. JustForFun

JustForFun Member

OMG!:eek: I can't wait to see some build pics of this!!!!

PS. Whatever happend to that huge Star Destroyer gofficool was working one a while back. Does anyone know what became of him? It would be a shame if that project got scrapped.
  18. JustForFun

JustForFun Member

Thanks for the link! I nearly exploded with excitement!!!! This is going to be a great year for large scale projects.
  19. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

btw is there another program besides pepakura that can unfold these meshes with such high detail? i'd hate to see those tubes turn out with a whole bunch of fold lines.
  20. OylPslyk

i'll be unfolding most of it myself in cad, so those lines wont be a problem :)