Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by stary, Mar 28, 2004.

1. stary

stary Member

there is an article on the website about applying drywall compound to a building to repressent stucco. Has anyone tried this? If so, can you apply decals to it?
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I used scenic paste (like the Woodland Scenics jar) to do some stucco on a half timbered building. I found that my crude smoothing skills looked like some older buildings.
  3. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

I used spackle on the back of a building to get a stucco effect, then painted it with Polyscale "aged concrete". A bit of carelessness applying the spackle gives the look of the stucco wearing off here and there.

Attached Files:

• lane.jpg
      File size:
      52.1 KB
  4. belg

belg Member

I'm wondering if a light coat of grout would not better represent stucco?Or paint with some fine sand mixed in.
  5. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I'm not sure that any sand in the mix would not result in stucco that was too rough looking for any scale.
  6. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Don, I think you're exactly right.:)

Val, that's one perfect effect!! Love that scene :thumb:

Stary, give the decal a try, use setting solution to
    apply, and dullcote to seal, should be OK, I think??:D
  7. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

have used a very fine grain sand and a bud uses of all things corn meal in regular house paint to get a pleasing stucco effect in HO:)
    Val love te pic:thumb:
  8. belg

belg Member

Guys, I think it depends on the type of stucco your looking for, as Jim said he's used the technique and I have read about it so it must have some merit. I lived in a house in Montana that had what looked like popcorn texture in the stucco, kind of like on the ceiling in hi rise buildings.Pat