Struts and Pipes

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cdavenport, Feb 21, 2009.

  1. cdavenport

    cdavenport Member

    I finally found the solution to struts and piping and other tubing issues. I purchased, of all things, paper lollipop sticks. They come in two diameters as far as I can tell.

    I both a couple of bags off EBay and paid a few bucks including shipping. This nice thing is that you can easily roll larger diameters using the stick as a buck. It shouldn't be too difficult to roll hollow pipe, too.
  2. dhanners

    dhanners Member

    The local art scraps store I go to sells them in a big zip-lock bag for something like 10 cents a bag. I've found them very useful. Some of the sticks I've found are rolled; if you work carefully, you can peel away the layers to make even thinner sticks.
  3. zakopious

    zakopious Member

    I use grass seed stems collected in a vacant lot.
    They are about three feet long, thick at the bottom and very thin on top.
    They are not as strong as lollipop sticks but they work for me.
  4. ltla9000311

    ltla9000311 Member

    I have some of those too, I bought mine at Wal-Mart of all places. They had them in the craft section right around the wedding stuff if I remember correctly. Havent had the chance to use them yet,but wiil do so in the future.
  5. blueeyedbear

    blueeyedbear Member

    If you are not too much of a "paper purist", go to a good hobby shop. They probably stock packages of assorted sizes of plastic tubes and plastic rods. In the model railroad section, you may even find square and rectangular "rods" and I-beams. If you really want to "jazz-up" a model, check out the model railroad lights!

    No luck? Pick up a copy of "Fine Scale Modeler" magazine and go through the adds.

    Bob (a retired p*****c model builder)
  6. SCEtoAux

    SCEtoAux Member

    If you soak those lollipop sticks long enough at the point you want to make a bend you can get some nice looking radius bends. Some trimming might help on the inside of the bend. If they split, some tissue soaked in a glue/water mixture makes some good filler. Let it dry then sand it smooth. :)
  7. Fishcarver

    Fishcarver Active Member

    Floral Wire

    It comes in smooth and paper-wrapped. Check Michaels and Wal Mart.

Share This Page