Struggling through the Stukas

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cjwalas, Jun 4, 2007.

1. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Yes, it's me again. :twisted: After months of only being able to work on very small paper models (mostly Stukas) due to a shoulder impediment, enough improvement has been achieved to move on to better and bigger things!:grin:
    So this week I've been really thrilled to get back into 1:33 scale. I decided to have a go at the Maly Modelarz JU-87G. What a deal this one was (I thought at the time of purchase!); three models for the price of one (and a cheap one at that!). So I started with the Fiesler manned version of the V-1;
    View attachment 12050
    This went together quite well, with the exception of one ill-fitting part. Simple and fun! I decided to move on to the the next in the set, The Bachem Natter;
    View attachment 12051
    This also went together well enough, with the exception of a couple of ill-fitting parts (one was horrible). But I really enjoyed it. The MM models have a minimal level of detail with a maximum level of enjoyment IMHO.
    Armed as I was with a false sense of security, I decided I was fit to tackle the larger and more detailed main focus of the set, the JU-87 Stuka, my favorite modeling subject since I was but a tadpole.
    I have to say that this model is the most ill-fitting kit of any I have built so far (well over a hundred and fifty at least). At first I thought I just wasn't paying attention or rushing too much, but then as I tried my best to make ends meet (literally:wink: ) I realized the kit had to bear some of the blame as well.
    View attachment 12052
    I can't tell you how much I struggled to get the two edges of the underwings to meet (the white centerline between the wings that diverges at the back!). It's not that it's a terrible kit; I'm really liking it overall. It's just that it's a lot more work to make things fit than I thought it would be. I had recently built the earlier MM JU-87 B Trop model, and while it's nowhere near accurate and is a simpler and cruder design, it was an absolute joy to build and well designed. I foolishly thought this one, as it was a later designed kit, would be even easier. WRONG!! Anyway, the kit DOES build into a JU-87G...well, so far;
    View attachment 12053
    It's not terribly accurate; the colors are all wrong; many of the parts don't fit particularly well; the quality of the paper...well, the less said about that the better. I actually prefer the earlier MM fibrous rough paper or the later, nicer stuff. I cannot get this stuff to take an even curl no matter what I do and the ends split continually.
    Having said all that, I really like this kit for what it is. Klunky, funky paper modeling fun. And it feels great to be making models "of size" again! :grin:
    Hopefully, I'll get this one done during the week and on to a better fitting kit!
    PS. I also have to take "some" of the responsibility for any flaws in construction:oops: . I really don't have the patience for paper modeling, but I really do enjoy it!
  2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Looks like you've done a great job despite the difficulties (both the shoulder and the kit's design). Glad to see you recuperating and back modeling.
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Don't expect old Maly kits to be accurate anyway... This is already a great job you've done!
  4. Kaz

Kaz Member

Good job there cjwalas, the Natter, it was that plane which introduced me to paper modeling, should I love it or hate it...
  5. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Looks like I managed to get the Stuka done on schedule.
    View attachment 12195
    Despite the fit and my ham-fisted skills, I do like the look of the finished model.
    View attachment 12196
    I botched the nose so badly I had to putty and sand it!
    Anyway, job done and on to the next one!
  6. Alcides

Alcides Member

Congratulation for your impresive display. Very nice models.

You seems to be an expert in stukas. Wich kit do you recomend as a good kit with good fit?

7. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

WHile I'm a big fan of the JU-87, most of the paper models I've built are of smaller scale. I'm just starting on the 1:33 versions. I really liked the Maly JU-87B Trop, but it's a simple model compared with most. The GPM earlier kits, #8 and #9 of the 87B go together well as did the GPM 87G, #70 (I think that's the number). The Try Krapny kit is a version of this Maly kit. It looks like it's cleaned up a bit, but the printing is very light by comparison.
    I have gotten to the newer versions, but I'm told they are very good fits and they look great. I'm hoping to do one of the current GPM's next or possibly the 87B from Fana (?) which looks interesting. I have to find out how much I need to decrease the print size to resize the 1/24 GPM B to 1/33. I've heard nothing but good things about the newer GPM JU-87D. The printing on it is certainly the best (along with the 1/24 scale B). All of the newer models look like they are redos of the Maly and GPM designs, with the exception of the Fana version. So, I guess you should ask me after I finish the next eight or ten Stukas I have to do!
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Wow, what a spread!
    Those three really look good displayed together!
    Very nice work, Chris! They look fantastic!

9. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

very nice job!! they really look great!
  10. Zathros

Zathros Guest

What a cool collection. They look great together.
  11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Very nice work of art!!!