Structures?

NICK C

Jul 25, 2002
Worthing, UK
www.geocities.com
Hi everyone.

Can anyone help me?, im lookin for a large structure in N gauge. I was hoping for a large monastery to occupy the mountainside in a large N gauge layout currently being built. I looked in my local model shop but with no avail.

please reply soon.

Attachments

• kerokero.gif
    kerokero.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 311

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi, I model in HO so I don't know about the availability in N but wonder if one of the more popular brewery structure kits might have the look? (With some modifications of course!) :)
Ralph

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Nick!
Walthers (www.walthers.com) makes some large industrial-type structures in N scale...by combining 2 or more of them in some interesting way, I'm sure you could come up with quite an imposing structure.
Good luck!

jdh

Jan 3, 2003
Visit site
and the castles are from european companies, they should be readily available at UK shops.

since i have never seen a monastary [or was aware of it], what are the basic building criteria?

do they build their own, or just move into an existing building and hang a new sign up?

NICK C

Jul 25, 2002
Worthing, UK
www.geocities.com
Monasteries are generally built to order by skilled craftsmen to accomodate the huge number of rooms and with enough room for all the crafts areas. They look unique and have a different layout to that of a castle.

Its hard to find the right buildings to stick together and convert to create a realistic structure!

Just an idea:

how abouts sticking faller "old city walls"," town houses", "lumber mill" and parts of the falller "Hohenfelds" castle together?, would it work or am i on the wrong tracks again?

Attachments

• apple ad quicker.gif
    apple ad quicker.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 236

swissjohn

Jan 3, 2003
Cheshire, England
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Nick,
What country or area are you modelling ?
I know of monasteries in Central Europe that resemble large churches. I have attached a photo of the Vollmer church on my old N-scale layout. I'm sure that two or three of these could be kitbashed into a larger structure.

Attachments

• 460_cargo.jpg
    460_cargo.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 203

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
Nick,

Walthers is showing two castles in their catalog that could pass for monistaries (sp).
One is made by Faller item #232243 called "Lichtenfels Castle"
see below

Attachments

• 02720000232243.gif
    02720000232243.gif
    89.8 KB · Views: 169

swissjohn

Jan 3, 2003
Cheshire, England
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Mike,
I hate to admit this but my non-native languages leave much to be desired. :eek:
The Kato Re460 loco in my photo carried the Italian "Chi rimorchia di più" on one side and the Swiss German "Wer hat die meisten Anhänger?" on the other. Roughly translated I believe it means "Who carries the most ?"
The livery was short-lived and was devised as part of a proposed joint freight venture between the Swiss and Italian Railways which never actually got off the ground.
Perhaps Ron, our Swiss resident, can correct me if I have got my facts wrong :)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Jonm,
Facts?...Who cares about facts?!...I'd just like to see some more pics of that layout...it looks super!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: