structure photos

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
My first attempt at posting photos I've gotten alot of great help as usual I just hope that it got interpeted correctly by yours truly.The following are a few examples of structures that I have either scratchbuilt or kitbashed.I know some of the wood is out of scale but that was done to match what came with the kit. Any and all constructive critisism would greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• pict0015.jpg
    pict0015.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 250

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Tyson I have the great pleasure of doing every thing in N scale. Everyone that knows me can't believe a man of my size can work with things this small.A little bio: I'm almost 6' 7" tall and better than 350 lbs. with hands that would a grizzly to shame.LOL

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great Job!

Belg,
The structures look fantastic!
I like the varied degrees of weathering you've used...very realistic!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hiya Belg,
I think you have done an excellent job of scratchbuilding and kitbashing, lets see some more photo's of your work.
shamus
waver.gif

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I'll second (third, fourth..??) what was said about painting and weathering. Great models what you built, belg!

I'm glad that you get along so nicely with your camera. This way we can hope for more pics of your excellent work. Just keep'em coming, willya? :D :D

Ron

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site

Hey guys, many thanks for all the kind words. I was wondering if there is any place to download premade signs and/or decals,like for stores and gas stationsor industry?I'm moving along nicely on my layout but am already seeing things that I should have done different.I'll post some more pictures as soon as my son and I get done making his school project.I want to put in a special thank you to David Engle in this regard because without his help we would not be in as good a shape as we are.:D ;) Also would some of you more experienced modelers care to share what American stain you use to weather wooden structures?All mine have been done with just chalk and I do like the result but was hoping for something that will cover a larger surface at one time.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Belg, One of many options is to use A-West "Weather it" Same rules apply as stains, stain prior to glueing, wood will warp. When I use it on wood sheet, I lay the sheet on glass and weight it down. If I want some red tones I weight it with an iron weight! If not I use wax paper. If you really flood the wood it will color more quickly. Lightly brushing it will have almost no effect. This is nice because it allows you to control things. This brewery had all its wood parts stained with the weather it. Prior to painting, I applied some bits of rubber glue. After painting I rubbed the glue off to get the peeling paint effect with old wood beneath. I hope the photo is accepted this time, first try it was 69k and it was not accepted! worst part is having to type the message over.

Attachments

• p1010249jpg.jpg
    p1010249jpg.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 99

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Hey Gary does that weather product then only come in one color and you have determine yourself how much or or how many coats you want to apply? After you stain yours how long do you uasually have to wait for it to dry?

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Gary, this is really an outstanding example op structure weathering! I already heard of 'Weather-It', but here I see a first class application of it for the first time. Great! A must-have!

And I love that doggie who is obviously applying some more weathering at the corner post of the loading platform. :D :D :D

Ron

PS: A long time ago there was a line of wood stains from Floquil, called 'Flo-Stain' (what else? :rolleyes: ). For aged, bleached wood I used 'Driftwood', and it had a GREAT weathering effect. Unfortunately Floquil bailed out of that production years ago. :( :( :(
Does anybody know if someone still produces such stains?