Structural components of new model

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by davis4559, Jul 11, 2006.

1. davis4559

davis4559 Member

Hello All,

This is my first post here on the forum. I am just about done modeling a project using metasequioa. I was wondering if you all had any suggestions as to how to go about adding structural components to my model. It is a plane model and I was wondering how you go about setting up the wings, fuselage etc so that they have some structural integrity. Also any suggestions on how to attach wings / vertical stabilizer to fuselage would be great.

Any help will greatly be appreciated

2. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

I join wing spars to the faces of fuselage bulkheads, sometimes by leaving a space under a fuselage section for the wings to fit under. A good way to get ideas on methods is to buy a few kits from different publishers and look at the diagrams closely.

3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

4. davis4559

davis4559 Member

Thanks guys

5. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Also, I find that alot of times, less is more and can make for an easier, straighter wing. I think that there is a tendency for 'making it fancy' (overengineering, especially the unseen internals of wings). I try to design mine to use as little as possible (a forward spar, an aft spar, a couple of ribs). If you design a good skin it can bear part of the load- just like on real aircraft. I don't usually even put spars out past the inner 1/3 of the wing (just out to the landing gear or wing joint (if there is one), to support the weight of the model on the ground).
  6. davis4559

davis4559 Member

Thanks for the reply. But how do model this ribs spars in metasequia?